Search

5 Days in South Central Alaska

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2008, 12:51 PM
wfd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 Days in South Central Alaska

I know the time is too short to truly see this grand state (or even a small portion of it). My wife and I are flying into Anchorage late on 8/2, and flying out early 8/8. We have a hotel near the airport the first night. The rest is open. We would like to visit Seward and Homer, and maybe a day cruise to the fjords/glaciers. Our anniversary is 8/4..how about a great place for dinner? Any splendid B&B's to suggest? Is a trip north to Talkeetna out of the question?
Walt
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 01:04 PM

We had a week on land and spent half in Seward, half in Denali, with Anchorage on either side.

With your amount of time, I think you should decide if you want to see Kenai Peninsula (Homer/Seward) or travel to Denali, stopping in Telkeetna. Although Talkeetna was interesting, not enough so to take the trip north just to stop there - I would concentrate on Kenai Peninsula.

We took a 6-hour cruise from Seward with kenaifjords.com website showing several choices. Even though we took a regular cruise after, this small boat glacier and sea mammal viewing was great.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 01:09 PM

I agree with Gail. with that short amount of time, I'd concentrate on the Kenai Peninsula and save Denali and Talkeetna for another visit.

My restaurant knowledge is a bit dated so I won't offer any advice in that regard. In Homer, there are a number of B&B's on Skyline Drive with tremoundous views of Kachemak Bay and the lower peninsula. I'd do a Google search and see what is still available.

Have a great trip. I'll be in the southeast at the same time.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 01:12 PM

For breakfast in Seward there is a tiny restaurant in an old railroad car at the beginning of town - sorry, can't remember name. Worth it for breakfast - funky menu, funky waitstaff, even funkier clientele. Decent food. Wouldn't work as it is anyplace other than Alaska.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 02:03 PM

The Homestead Restaurant <http://www.homesteadrestaurant.net/> in Homer would be perfect for your anniversary!
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 02:12 PM

I would also second the recommendation for The Homestead restaurant in Homer. We celebrated birthdays there this past June. Meal,service and views were all excellent.
Old Jul 29th, 2008, 05:26 AM
wfd
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your help. We spent our honeymoon in the Canadian Rockies in '06, and last year went to the Swiss Alps, so the mountains hold a special attraction to us. I think I knew Mt. McKinley was a little too ambitious. Thanks Gail and dwooden, a day cruise from Seward was a definite. Thanks too to Orland_Vic and Historytraveler, the Homestead looks like a winner. Here's what I am thinking now...to Homer 8/3 for 2 days, then to Seward on 8/5 for 3 days (including one for cruise). Still could use specific help on B&B's or hotels. Anyone with feedback on Beary Patch, Kiana or Bay View Inn in Homer, or Harbor View in Seward? Any others to check?
Thanks again.
Walt
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 05:28 PM

We really enjoyed Wild Rose B&B in Homer. It's a 10 minute drive to town but you're up on the mountain and the views are wonderful. The cabins at the B&B are all wonderful, too. We really felt at home there. You must stay two nights in Homer or you'll be driving your whole vacation!