4 days in Boston...Go!

Search

4 days in Boston...Go!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2015, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 days in Boston...Go!

Looking for ways to optimize our 1st trip to Boston! 4 days in May! What would you do? Thanks!
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 04:21 PM

What are your interests?
The major attractions in Boston have to do with historical sights--the Freedom Trail in particular. Major league sports, museums, whale watch trips.........day trip to Cape Cod, Maine coast, Cape Ann...? Exploring neighborhoods.
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 04:44 PM

Get a hotel right away. This is graduation time for the many universities and hotels are often booked up months in advance.
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 06:54 PM

Amen on locking down a room!!! May is one of the most beautiful times of year in Boston. The spring colors truly rival the autumnal leaf peeper colors.

To take advantage of the flora coming into its own I would make a point of strolling the public garden, commonwealth Avenue Mall, the Charles, and the Rose Kennedy Greenway. I would also stroll the Seaport Walk.

Maybe a harbor cruise? Or a day trip outside of Boston - Rockport on Commuter Rail?

Inclement weather? Copley/Prudential Center shopping, MFA and or Issy Stewart Gardner Museum or Aquarium, JFK Library? People speak highly of the Boston Library Tour, although I haven't taken it yet.
Check out the architecture at The Liberty Hotel - an old prison turned hotel and sharing a lobster pizza at Scampo, making note of the ever changing lighting in the hotel lobby.
Old Dec 7th, 2015, 01:48 AM

Consider taking a walking food tour (bostonfoodtours.com) of either the North End (Italian) or Chinatown. They take a few hours and each give you a bit of history of the area as well.

Boston Harbor Cruises and another company I don't remember the name of have short boat tours of the Harbor if it is a nice day.

For that amount of time I would stay in Boston rather than doing day trip. If you are a sports fan, see if Red Sox are in town or take a tour of Fenway.
Old Dec 7th, 2015, 08:58 PM
cw

The Little Italy tours with your voucher would be hard to book in Boston since LI is in NYC.
Old Dec 9th, 2015, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! Many of your suggestions are familiar, as I've started to research Boston. I've already booked a place through VRBO in the North End so I'm glad I have airfare & a place to sleep! 2 questions that I've run into since we aren't renting a car. We've heard great things about Salem, but the tours and speed trips don't start until end of May. What is the best alternative option on getting there? Also, would traveling from airport to apt. by boat be an option? Just something different I'm thinking of. Thanks again!
Old Dec 10th, 2015, 03:58 AM

You can take the train from Boston to Salem and walk or taxi to the sites like the Essex-Peabody Museum, House of Seven Gables, etc.
Old Dec 10th, 2015, 03:59 AM

Hit return too soon, there also is a ferry to Salem, but I don't know if it is running when you will be there.
Old Dec 10th, 2015, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks emalloy! Is the train the same thing as the T?
Old Dec 10th, 2015, 02:03 PM

It's part of the same system, considered commuter rail and the weekend schedule is a little different than the weekday. Check this link:

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail/
Old Dec 10th, 2015, 04:18 PM
cw

The train to Salem leaves from North Station and takes about 30 minutes. You can buy tickets at the station. It isn't covered by any of the T passes. It is a separate cost. Depending on the schedules and the weather, it might be fun to take the ferry one way and return on the train.

Next year's ferry schedule isn't posted yet, but this year it started running on May 21. Not sure what your dates are.

http://www.bostonharborcruises.com/s...chedule-rates/
Old Dec 10th, 2015, 08:11 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Airport to city by water taxi.. We have done this many times, a fun way to arrive and you avoid traffic in the tunnel, especially at rush hour. Take an airport shuttle bus to the waterfront bus srop near the Hyatt Boston Harbor. There are several companies that will take you to a variety of docks in the city. I don't recall their names but they should be easy to find online.