boston help

Old Jan 16th, 2005, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boston help

I plan to take a fall foliage tour next autumn and need some help.
I decided on a 6 day Globus tour, and want to add a few days to be alone in Boston.
1. I know that last year the foliage was late but it might be a windy autumn and then it will pass early. what is my best bet ? first week of October or last one of September ?
2. I want to take a day trip to Newport, do the Freedom trail, walk in Beacon Hill, Back bay and the parks. take some cruise, and go to Harvard to see the area and the glass flowers. (not planning more museums).
3. are 4 days realistic ? (I am not young and a slow traveller).
4. considering I am over 60 and prone to seasickness, would a Whale Watching cruse be realistic ?
thank you. any more ideas will be appreciated. thank you. shula
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 07:42 AM

Forget the whale watching, not a good use of your limited time, especially if you might be sick.

Early October is the very earliest I'd look for foliage in the Boston area; where does the Globus tour go? Foliage tends to peak starting in the northwest (VT) and working southeastward towards Boston and Cape Cod.

The places you've named in Boston area all very do-able within a couple of days, especially if by "the parks" you mean Boston Common and the Public Garden, which are between Beacon Hill and the Back Bay. There are hour-long cruises of Boston Harbor.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 07:43 AM
Cassandra

Starting with the last -- skip the Whale Watching cruise; even people not prone to seasickness have run into trouble with these. But how much of a "cruise" do you have in mind? Want to be out of sight of land, or just poke around in the waters around Boston or the New England coast?

Old Jan 16th, 2005, 09:18 AM

At that time of year, waters can be rough and it gets quite cold out there - I also suggest skipping the whale watch. As far as your wish to "take some cruise", there are various Boston Harbor cruises - anywhere from lunchtime brown bag thing (that may run only in summer) to shuttles to various harbor islands to fancy dinner cruise.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

thank you.
o.k. skiped the whales.
the tour goes rougly Boston-stockbridge-stowe-north conway-kebbebunkport-boston. including the Green and White mountains and a gondola ride up Wildcat mountain.
does this help with the dates ?
(i hate cold weather. and to wait till middle October and then find that i missed it and the leaves are gone, seems worst than having the trees still green).
wish i can wait to the last minute but i heard tours are filling up.

one more question. i e-mailed the DeCordova Sculpture Park, and they said there is no public transportation. the train is more than 2 miles away and no bus. can i count on Taxis in Lincoln. or better to forget it as well ?
(unbelievable but i don't drive)
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 02:32 PM

We have done Globus tours and have been very satisfied. Peak color in the Boston area is often around Columbus Day weekend. There are so many variables, however that effect when the color will be at its best or if there will be good color, at all. We have been to Vermont around that time with only partial color. It is very hard to predict. I think the first week in October is a safe bet for color SOMEWHERE in New England, since you are visiting a variety of locations. That is also a great time to tour Boston on foot. You will hopefully experience comfortable weather and sunny skies. Skip both the Lincoln museum in the interest of time, and the whale watch .There is SO much to see and do right in the city. The Beantown Trolley is a great way to get around. It enables you to get on and off, at your will, at the various locations. People say the Duck Tours are also fun. That goes around the city in a ground vehicle and then becomes water-worthy, when you tour on the Charles River.. Newport,
Rhode Island is a fantastic place to visit, but I wonder if it is practical for you. Would you be taking a bus from Boston? You will need an entire day there. Four days sounds about right, but you should list your priorities and their locations. For example, Harvard is in Cambridge, not the city of Boston, so you will need to think about public transportation. One and one-half to two days to walk around the city and/or ride the Trolley might be feasible. Hope you enjoy your trip. You will seeing some of the "jewels" of New England, but keep in mind that all of the driving and sightseeing you will be doing in advance might tire you, so don't get overlyambitious in your plans in Boston. I am in the same age category as you, so I know how exhausting these trips can be. Be sure to include some "chill out"
time to regain your energy. Please post a report of your trip, when you return.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 02:45 PM

You take the red line from park (or other stops on the red line)directly to Harvard Square. There are wall maps with the lines in color.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 03:14 PM

Lincoln is a very small, residential, rural town and I would guess there wouldn't be any taxis at the train unless you called ahead for one to meet you there and then, arranged a time for them to come back to get you at the museum for the return. There must be some kind of taxi service in the area. The trip to Lincoln that way will take quite a chunk of time. Be aware that, if you choose to go on a weekend, some commuter rail lines have less frequent service than on weekdays. Unless you are REALLY interested in the museum, you may be better off skipping it.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 03:22 PM

I'll try to find out about taxi's in Lincoln
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 03:55 PM

Couldn't find any taxis in Lincoln. The town has a web page and nothing was listed and my brother-inLaw lives there but away.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 07:13 PM

I found a taxi service that serves Lincoln: Harrison Transportation Service, 1-800-945-2600. You will undoubtedly need to make advance arrangements with them to get you to and from the DeCordova.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 09:14 PM

Three years ago the "color" peaked about Oct 3 -10 in Vermont, N.H. and by mid Oct. was in the "lower" New England states..
Re; stay in Boston--
I am in the midst of planning time in Boston in April after I spend 5 days with an Elderhostel group.(the group focus will be on Art so I too will not be doing the "museums" again.
Iplan to go to Harvard area via the "T" and spend the day...do the tour: lots of shops, cafes and bookstores in area.
I love the Quincy Market , I know it is a tourist trap but plan to spend 1/2 day..I get the family gifts there !!!
The other 1/2 of that day will try a Cruise on the Bay OR just eat at "No Name" on wharf on the waterfront (only a 5 min. walk from Quincy Mkt.)
One day for Boston Commons -Back Bay area. Newbury St. ---lots of boutiques and art galleries and sidewalk cafes...
So you see there is full 3 days already...I don't usually schedule "rest" periods just insert as needed....for that reason I am planning to stay 5 full days
I am going to try Beacon Hill Bed and Breakfast --near the Charles River-- recommendation of friend.
Bed and Breakfast Agency of Boston
is a good resource 1-800-248-9262
Fall foliage season is one of the most crowded times in Boston and the hotel rates are at their highest level..So book early..
Do you have any idea where you will stay while in Boston?? just curious...
Hope this helps..

Old Jan 17th, 2005, 04:48 AM

Over the past few years, Harvard Square, like Quincy Marketplace, has been increasingly filled with chain stores. For more of the old Harvard Square flavor, wander a few blocks up or down Massachusetts Avenue to areas where the rents ar a bit lower so the funkier stores can still afford to stay.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

thank you all so much.
I see I am on the right track.
I will try to get a flight that brings me at noon so I can fight some of the jet leg immediately.
then two days of Boston with the help of the trolley (I have knee problems and know how to take it easy by using trolleys, boats etc.)
the third day I mean to take a Grayline tour to Newport (the Breakers, Marble house and 10 mile drive) which has again enough bus rest. (after San Simion I have to see more of this American castles).
the fourth day is the one that the tour meets at 7 pm. so I will probably go to Harvard to see the glass flowers (heard about it from my mom years ago) and take it easy. i know the tour will be fast but it is after all only 5 days.
I might have to add a night after the tour, it will give me almost a fifth day. and I will see what I feel like doing.
(the only shopping I need to do is looking if NB has the only model I can wear, wrote them to get information about the Boston shop).
if I really have to book the tour for October already now, it have some time to book a room. the cheap rooms at the Newbury guest house are already full (!?) but after I have my final dates I will e-mail them.
aren't they pulling my leg about needing to book a Globus tour for October in January ? thank you all again. shula
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 08:10 AM

No, they are not pulling your leg. Many of the accommodations in prime foliage areas are booked a full year in advance. It's a brief, special time in a small, special area.

For public transit in Boston, you should differentiate between the pblic bus/ subway system, and the tourist-tour trollies. A few of the lines/vehicles in the public transit system are indeed "trollies," making the discusison tricky. But in general, for instance referring to getting from downtown to Harvard Square, you'd be taking the subway, which is poularly referred to as "The T". Maps etc. are at www.mbta.com. The glass flowers are at Harvard's Museum of Natural History, which is several minutes' walk from the nearest subway station.

Thanks to the passage of the Americans With Disabilities Act, most public places will have elevators that you can use to reduce the demands on your knees. Ask about them in the subway system and at the grand homes in Newport. And taxis are always an alternative -- if you have a good map with the subway routes and stations on it, you can make intelligent choices that will be a compromise between your knees and your wallet!
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 08:12 AM

"the only shopping I need to do is looking if NB has the only model I can wear, wrote them to get information about the Boston shop"

What is "NB"?
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

New Balance.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 08:36 AM

There are literally dozens of stores in the Boston area that carry that brand, including Marathon Sports and City Sports, which have various locations. You might make a few one calls after you get here to see if they have your specific item in stock.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

nice you are on line. are you from boston ?. (i am terrible at calculating time zones). is it morning in Boston now ? it is 7 pm here.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 09:17 AM

Wow, that sound like a really nice trip you'll be taking. Like the others, I would say no to the whale watching. The early part of October is generally beautiful for leaf peeping. You should also enjoy Kennbunkport. It is quaint and picturesque. Boston is a great city to walk around in, Freedom Trail and the Boston Common are always a good time. Have fun on your trip!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information