Search

3 days in NY

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 06:21 AM
Angie

3 days in NY

This is a great find. I'm so excited to get real info on NY. My husband and I are from Maine and our celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary in NY on Aug 29th and leaving Sept 1. We arrive on the 29th at 7:20 a.m. and leave at 12:00 on the 1st.

Staying at the Raddison on Lexington Ave
Seeing Stomp on the 30th
and would like to get to the Bronx Zoo.

Question 1 - How do we get to the Bornx Zoo and is it an all-day trip?

Question 2 - Since we have so little time is the double decker bus the way to see as much as possible?

Question 3 - We would really like to see a comedy show...any suggestions? We are a little nervous about how to get back to our hotel after.. safely.

Thank you so much for any assistance.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 06:51 AM
Philip

1) The Bronx Zoo is huge and you should probably plan on spending the better part of a day there. If you are going by subway, you could take a #2 train to Pelham Parkway stop walk a few blocks to Boston Road and follow that to the park entrance. Check out www.bronxzoo.com

2) A double decker bus is definitely the best way to see as much as possible in a short amount of time. But you may also think about buying a $4 (one day unlimited ride) metrocard and just riding the city buses up and down the avenues. You don't get the commentary, but it is much cheaper.

3) When you say comedy show, are you talking about a Broadway play that is a comedy or are you talking about a comedy club that has stand-up comics.

Don't be too nervous about travel around the city at night. The buses and subways are quite safe at night. You can also catch a cab at night which will take you door to door safely.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 10:33 AM
Angie

Thanks for the info. As far as comedy show goes we were looking for stand up. I also noticed that there is a 2 drink minimum at most places. if you don't drink is that a problem or is a soda ok? Sorry for such a dumb question.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Frank

Angie: Check out Chicago City Limits, very funny comedy improv group, been around for 20 years. No drinks, more of a theater setting, costs $20 and is in a good neighborhood, First Avenue and 60th Street. The web link is below.

http://chicagocitylimits.com

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Angie

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Elizabeth

2 drink minimum--you can order anything you want, and they'll price it however THEY want--so a soda at this kind of place will cost more than you are used to paying, & the only attitude that works is to regard this as part of the price of the entertainment.