3 days days between Las Vegas and Grand Canyon - where to go

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2003, 02:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will have 3 nights between arrival in Las Vegas (1 night) and reservations at Grand Canyon. We blew it - did not make reservations early enough and now all hotels at Bryce Canyon are filled and limited availability at Zion - our original plan. (Aug 10, 11, 12)

Looking for Plan B - any suggestions on what else to see as area destination/ places to spend night. Family of 4 - not campers or real serious hikers. Do not want to spend more time in Las Vegas and will be heading to San Diego after Grand Canyon (reservations for 8/13 and 14). Any ideas? Thanks.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 03:34 AM
gc

Here's a plan B.

Visit the Best Friends animal sanctuary in Kanab, Utah. Located in the canyon where they filmed the TV show, "The Lone Ranger"' this is a world renowned sanctuary where they care for discarded animals of all types.

There is not a decent hotel in Kanab, so continue on to Page, Arizona and the Glen Canyon Dam. Rent a boat and spend a day on Lake Powell.

If Utautea suggests something else, follow her advice, not mine...8^)
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 05:39 AM

You could stay in St. George, Utah it's only 40 miles to Zion and 130 miles to Bryce. We stayed at the Hampton Inn there recently and it was nice, with a tasty cont. breakfast included.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 06:01 AM

I agree with Barbara regarding St. George. St. George is on I15 and therefore has the usual exit ramp motels that, although not the Ritz, provide clean beds, hot water and air conditioning. These motels cater to the Interstate traffic and therefore usually have vacancies. You could also choose Cedar City just up the interstate. Both locations are close enough to Bryce, Cedar Breaks, Zion and the North Rim to allow you to take advantage of the parks with just a short drive. If you are looking for an entirely different area to spend the three days, I suggest using Flagstaff as a base to visit Oak Creek Canyon and Sedona one day, and for another day, it really isn't that far to the Petrified Forest/Painted Desert from Flagstaff (I40 runs right through the park). If your reservations for the Grand Canyon are for the North Rim, you can use Flagstaff to make a day trip to the South Rim where your entrance fee can be used when you return to North Rim (or vice versa). Page (Lake Powell) is also a great destination. You can bascially make a big circle around the Grand Canyon using I15, UT9, US89 and I40.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 08:23 AM

About 55 mi. NW of Las Vegas is Nevada's Valley of Fire State Park. No place to spend the night there, but shouldn't be missed if you're in the area. Got some pictures in an album at http://community.webshots.com/user/bookhall .
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 10:20 AM

To Gail,

Are all the motels in Springdale, Utah booked? Springdale is at the gate of Zion and if you can find lodging there then you will be in a very good spot to vist Zion and make a day trip to Bryce.

If Springdale is booked up then I think I would visit Zion and spend the night in Page, AZ so you could visit Glen Canyon National Recreational Area & take a boat trip out to Rainbow Bridge National Monument.

If you see a little Winnebago Motorhome (see picture of our RV: http://www.utahtea.lithium.com/ ) with California Plates....WAVE....that will probably be me. We are going to be in that area at the same time!

Utahtea

Old Jul 1st, 2003, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your suggestions - staring at a map and guide book does not give me the picture I need of the area. Plan B is developing as Plan A/B. We really wanted to go to Bryce, and managed to find hotel for different 2 nights - so we stay in LV one night, drive to Bryce for 2 nights (probably skipping Zion) and then have one night to kill before Grand Canyon - are leaning towards going to Lake Powell for one night.

To Utahtea - if you see a rental car with person reading printout of every post with advice on the area you have ever written, that is me. We will dedicate this vacation to you as you have been invaluable in our preparations. If you ever go to Boston area, I can offer similar help.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 06:00 PM

gail,

There is no need to skip Zion. From Las Vegas take Interstate 15 to a little past St. George, Utah and then take Hwy 9 to Zion National Park. This is the best and most scenic way to get to Bryce anyways!

Since you don't have to worry about getting lodging in Bryce you can spend most of the travel day in Zion. At least ride the shuttle bus to the end and if you can squeeze in the easy Riverside Walk, you won't be sorry.

Lake Powell is worth your time! Just be warned that many of the internet map tripping programs have you take Cottonwood Road but this road is not paved and it is really a SLOW driving road. You will be better off going back on Hwy 12 to Hwy 89 and go south to Kanab and Page.

Here's a couple of links with maps of the area.

http://www.powellguide.com/lakepowel...circlemap.html

http://www.so-utah.com/southmap.jpg

According to our itinerary we are going to be in Bryce on Aug. 10 & 11th! I'll be looking for you!

I don't know if this has already been mentioned to you or not, but since you will be going to so many of the national parks you really should buy the National Park Pass for $50. It will save you some money and it's good for 1 full year from the date of purchase. You can get one at the entrance gate of the first National Park you visit.

http://www.nps.gov/bibe/parkspass.htm

Utahtea