Search

Vegas/Utah/Arizon

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2018, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vegas/Utah/Arizon

We are attending a wedding in Flagstaff in June and decided to make a trip out of it. I would appreciate any advice in what to do in Zion, Page, Grand Canyon and Sedona as I haven't ever visited. We are coming with our 2 teenagers. We would love to do short hikes but I'm weary of anything too lengthy because of the heat in June. Here is what I was thinking:
Day 1: Fly into Vegas
Day 2: Head to Zion, stay in Springdale
Day 3: Head to Page (should we stay in Page or can we head to Flagstaff in evening to stay there?)
Day 4-5: Grand Canyon (stay in Flagstaff?)
Day 6: Sedona (stay in Flagstaff?)
Days 7-8 wedding stuff--Flagstaff
Day 9 Hoover Dam and then Vegas
Day 10 Vegas and depart for home

My plan was to get a place in Flagstaff as a home base so we aren't constantly packing and unpacking...I would love recommendations on this too . Thank you so much.
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 04:28 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you spending a night in Las Vegas or just picking up the rental car and heading to SW Utah? It would be great to see the sunrise in Zion and maybe even detour over to see Bryce Canyon. If you can get a room/cabin at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon go straight there from Page. Arrive on Day 6 in Flagstaff after seeing the Grand Canyon.
Sedona is not too far from Flagstaff so you can fit it in while in Flagstaff or see it while on the way to Hoover Dam. Depending on how early your flight is going out on Day 10, you might want to stay at the Hoover Dam Lodge which is about 3 miles from the dam. You can drive across the dam to the Arizona side to avoid the parking garage on the Nevada side. There is also a walkway on the big bridge to go see the dam from above.
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

We will spend the night in Vegas as we get in pretty late. Do you have any recommendations to stay at Grand Canyon? Thank you soooo much!
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 04:07 AM

For lodging in Grand Canyon, just call the two numbers on the park service web page for GC and see what is available. elTovar is the nicest and is a hotel on the rim, Kachina and Thunderbird are motels on the rim, Bright Angel has a lodge and cabins on/near the rim (some of the lodge rooms share a bathroom), Maswick and Yavapai are motels back a short walk from the rim. Yavapai is booked through a different number than all the others, so check with both.

If lodging in the canyon is not available, then look for something you can cancel nearby in Tusayan or at Cameron Trading Post.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 10:19 AM

If you click on my user name, you will see my trip reports for Zion and Page/Kanab with Kids. Includes info on hiking, lodging, eating, and other things to do.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 02:09 PM
J62

If your objective is to check off places like Zion on your "been there / seen that list" then your itinerary looks great.

If you objective to actually see and enjoy them, then it does not. Too many places, too much driving in too little time.

Staying in Flagstaff (90mi) from the Grand canyon makes no sense. emalloy's advice is spot on. Stay in the park/at or near the rim.

Personally, I would add a 2nd night at Zion & drop Sedona.