Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

3-4 days of travel time without the kids, where to go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2016, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will have a few days without kids while they are all at summer camp in mid-June. Our kids are great, well-seasoned travelers so we often take them with us, but this time we want to take a few days in a location that they might not enjoy as much since it will be just us.

We have wide interests: we like food, history, museums, interesting architecture, quaint spots to relax and bustling activity, sports, and activities. We like the beach but we go to the Florida panhandle a lot, so if this trip involves a beach we'd prefer for this trip to be a different kind of beach than white sand and amberjack sandwiches. Nothing wrong with that, just something we can do with the kids later.

We will be dropping the kids off and picking them up at camp in Asheville with 2 weeks between the dates. (I love my kids but do try to ignore the glee in my voice.) We could start or finish in Asheville if it's easier to the trip, or we could come home and use the empty weekend to fly (preferably) or drive to a long weekend somewhere else. We don't want to burn all of our vacation days (and we'd like to spend some time in town with friends while we don't have to schedule babysitters), so we are looking at a 3-4 day trip. We do want to stay on the Eastern side of the US, or that general area, just in case we are called back to camp for any sort of emergency or something.

Also we have mega Hilton honors points and we are thinking about using those to stay free wherever we go, although that's not an absolute requirement.

We've already been to NYC, Boston, DC, New Hampshire, and many places in Florida and the southeast in general. We've stayed in Asheville tons of times.

So far we are looking at any of the following:
Mackinaw Island
St Simons Island
Savannah
Charleston
Toronto or Nova Scotia or Montreal
Chicago
Blackberry Farm
Nantucket
Martha Vineyard
Maine
Outer banks
Highlands
Or anywhere else you might recommend.

You can see a wide variety here. Can you help us narrow the field? I need to make sure the place we choose would be appropriate to the time frame, fun for us but not so much for the kids, and easy to travel to from either north Alabama or Asheville. We are open to your new ideas too, if there is a place we haven't considered.
Old Apr 17th, 2016, 06:29 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
My first thought was the Outer Banks before I went through your list. From Asheville, go by way of Morehead City to get to the Cedar Island Ferry to Ocracoke. Take the time to see the Cape Hatteras lighthouse and Kitty Hawk.
Come back home via Greenville SC and Atlanta.
Save your other destinations for trips of a week or more.
Old Apr 17th, 2016, 06:35 AM

Head to the southwest, Santa Fe would be perfect. Great weather, sites, museums, outdoor activities,architecture that is unique and food that is top notch. No beaches but lots of other great things.
Old Apr 17th, 2016, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Deb, we would love to go to the SW but we want to stay on the eastern side of the US (or just outside of there) because of the proximity to camp, in case of any emergency and also just logistically. We only have 3-4 days, and it eats up an entire day for us to fly to SW US (and back), really limiting our time. It is so pretty there though! We went to Sedona last fall, just gorgeous.
Old Apr 17th, 2016, 03:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The southern cities will be hot and humid in june. I like Charleston, but I like it in April. June will be humid.

How about Newport RI? It is a nice small new england town with an ocean and beaches, but also historic homes to see and a cute town to hang out in. I would think June would be a really nice time to be in Newport! We go every year the end of July and I like it for a long weekend destination.
Old Apr 17th, 2016, 03:39 PM

I vote for Maine ; or Montreal. We adored Portland, ME, and I think you could have a lovely short stay there, taking ferries and driving around to lighthouses and walking around the town. And eating and drinking very well, mustn't forget that! There's a great art museum, too.

Montreal would be so easy to have a good time in, as well.
Old Apr 17th, 2016, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

I agree that the southern cities will be too hot, that's a great point. Also my husband has already been to Charleston and I want to somewhere new to both of us. So, Charleston and Savannah are off the list.

Chicago is off the list too. And Blackberry Farm.

We are very on-the-fence about Mackinac. We might strike it soon.

Nantucket and/or Martha's Vineyard are interesting. Outer Banks is interesting. SSI is off the list because I think we would prefer to take the kids there.

We added Newport (thank you, GirlOnTheGo!) and are strongly considering all the other New England and Canada destinations.

Lots of help so far, please keep your thoughts and ideas coming!
Old Apr 17th, 2016, 04:26 PM

I'd probably pick Newport, Maine, or Nantucket. Sort of depends on what kind of holiday you feel like.

But if you are looking for a city atmosphere, I'd vote for Chicago. The food scene is great and it didn't strike me as particularly kid friendly. The best thing about Chicago (in my opinion) is the architecture- I could spend hours wandering around just looking at the buildings, which I think would bore most kids to death. But that said- Chicago is definitely a family friendly destination, and would be a blast as a family trip.
Old Apr 17th, 2016, 07:22 PM

We loved Newport, too. The fact that it's a colonial-era town with all those Gilded Age mansions on the water was an added bonus. Very atmospheric.
Old Apr 18th, 2016, 02:49 AM

Toronto is a surprisingly fun city. There are relatively inexpensive fares (about $400 RT) from Birmingham or Mobile. Montreal has better food - not sure about air arrangements. And in Montreal you really feel like you are not at home anymore.

Second choice - Bermuda or Puerto Rico. Unfortunately, when I checked no non-stop flights to either from Alabama or Charlotte or Raleigh, NC. Puerto Rico was a surprise to us - natural scenery, history, beautiful ocean, good food. While most people stay around San Juan, there is a wonderful Hilton Resort in Ponce (about 80 minutes drive south) that we stayed at a few years ago. Because I did not think - I was pleasantly surprised when I realized Puerto Rico, being a US territory, uses US money, no passport necessary, cell phones work without getting an international plan.

Savannah/Charleston are wonderful cities - but the humidity will nearly kill you in the summer.
Old Apr 18th, 2016, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! Newport is definitely on the list. Gail, you have some great insight and suggestions. Will check into all of them!
Old Apr 18th, 2016, 10:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Quebec City is another nice weekend getaway. We loved our stay there. We went in June and the weather was beautiful!
Old Apr 18th, 2016, 11:35 AM

Maybe the Delmarva Peninsula, both St. Michael's and Chincoteague are cute places and soft shell crab will be in season (sadly oysters will not be).