Charleston in late June

Apr 27th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Charleston in late June

I am planning a get-away with hubby for last weekend in June. Want to go to a place thatwe haven't been to (always wanted to visit Charleston); I realize late June is not ideal but will it be really terrible (like high 80s, low 90s) or doable?
Any other suggestions - some place with not too hot weather within 2-3 hrs flight from NY? Thanks, travel buff from CT
Apr 27th, 2005, 07:20 PM

I would say it is more likely to be mid 90s (if not high 90s). It will be hot and humid.
Apr 27th, 2005, 07:48 PM
OO

I think late June was the first time I went to Charleston as part of Savannah's Newcomer's Club. It was unreal...even worse than Savannah because there is more concrete and less shade than Savannah. Phew...it'd be hard, especially for a New Englander, that time of year. We'd moved to Savannah from Dallas and thought we knew heat....

What about the mountains of VA or NC? Ashville?
Apr 30th, 2005, 05:18 AM

What about Nantucket Island (MA).

Very quaint - weather will be good that time of year.

Can always take a day trip to Martha's Vineyard - but I would stay on Nantucket.
Apr 30th, 2005, 05:33 AM

I agree completely with OO. June will be extremely hot and muggy in Charleston. Savannah does have more shade but it will still be hot.

As a Southern gal I really enjoyed the change of Cape Cod. Warm days on the beach without sweltering. I'd vote for the Cape or MV too.

What you would REALLY enjoy would be Colorado in June. Go to a resort area so there is lots to do but the temps and humidity would be wonderful!
Apr 30th, 2005, 08:09 AM

I wouldn't head south that time of year unless it was just to park myself at the beach and enjoy getting into the ocean and breezes off the ocean. I live in Asheville and had to take the kids to Folly Beach outside of Charleston about 2 yrs ago in early/mid june. The beach was fine but being in town during the daytime was horribly hot and humid.
I would say Maine, Montreal, Toronto, Nova Scotia - or come up to the mtns of NC - Asheville, Blowing Rock, Highlands/Cashiers - were the weather that time of year will usually be beautiful - maybe 80's at most and w/ about 1/2 the amount of humidity as the SC or NC coast.
Apr 30th, 2005, 10:59 AM

Was trying to find this link before for you and just found it. Info on Nantucket.

http://www.harborhousevillage.com/experience/
If you head to Cape and the Islands, I would definitely choose Nantucket.

The Cape has, unfortunately, become somewhat tacky and Martha's Vineyard, although lovely, doesn't have the charm (IMO) of Nantucket. It is also not as compact, so you would need a car to explore.

You could explore Nantucket - like Charleston - without a car on foot.

Search this Thread