Where to go for a group of 5 adult couples?

Jan 27th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Where to go for a group of 5 adult couples?

Any suggestions of where to go on a 3-4 day weekend vacation for a group of 5 adult couples (ages 35-45). No kids. Something in between quiet and party. . . Not too quiet, not too party. Thinking about renting a house. Willing to spend a little extra $ to get something nice. 2 couples coming from west coast, two couples coming from east coast, 1 couple coming from midwest - so the whole US is up for grabs. Does not have to be in the middle. One couple in FBI says Mexico is a definite no, so assuming they know more than me and abiding by that.

I have one couple that wants Savannah or Cape Cod and another couple that wants Vegas or New Orleans! I thought New Orleans could be a blend of quiet and party (especially if renting a nice big house that is close to the french quarter, but one of the vacationers thinks it's a little dirty - never been there so can't say firsthand).

Just want to get together with good friends who are spread all over the country, but want to pick a nice place that everyone can enjoy. All in all the group is pretty open to things.

Whew! Thanks!
Jan 27th, 2011, 08:58 PM

Santa Fe?

New Orleans is not "dirty". Stay off Bourbon Street and you'll think you were in Paris - at least we did last month.
Jan 28th, 2011, 02:20 AM

You don't say what time of year. Obviously, you don't want to go to Cape Cod before June or New Orleans or Savannah after June!

Renting a house for a 3-4 day weekend will be harder than renting for a week, esp in season.

The Outer Banks of NC are full of vast houses to rent, and the rental market has been soft. It is not club territory, but there are plenty of places to eat. The down side is that it is a goodish drive from the nearest airports

Mt Pleasant, outside Charleston, SC, has broad beaches and lots of rental housing, but easy access to the historical parts of the city, and Charleston is pretty easy to fly into.
Jan 28th, 2011, 02:36 AM

As a proud and very happy Mt Pleasant resident, I have to say the beaches are on Sullivans and Isle of Palms. Ackslander is right-in season rentals out there go Sat-Sat or Sun-Sun. You can do long weekends before memorial Day or in the fall.

I wouldn't go to Vegas on a dare but that's just me.
Jan 28th, 2011, 02:36 AM

Renting a Villa w/a cook and servants in Los Cabos works 12 months a yr
Jan 28th, 2011, 03:25 AM

A lot of houses anywhere go for weekly rentals in-season, so you may have a hard time finding one for a long weekend. Would you consider a cruise out of FL, CA or an all-inclusive somewhere other than Mexico (I agree with the FBI guy). You might find these options cost-effective when you add in cost of multiple rental cars, activities, etc. It also allows all of you to have as much group and personal time as you wish, no having to agree on every activity, complaints about people sharing bathrooms, waking/sleeping schedules.

And since you asked for a balance between quiet and party (and did not mention things like historic sightseeing, arts, that type of thing) this might work.

Agree with the "not mid-way" idea since you will likely fiond coast-coast airfare less than to somewhere in the middle, due to the oddities of airline pricing. Lots of cheaper air options to FL, CA and even some islands.
Jan 28th, 2011, 04:20 AM

Definitely go to New Orleans. Like starrs said, stay off Bourbon at night - during the day it really isn't bad at all. The city has so much to offer, a misguided thought that it might be "dirty" shouldn't stop everybody from giving it a try.