2nd time to hawaii, any ideas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my wife and I are going again to hawaii. May 2009, i'm so excited, i want to start the planning now. I'm thinking oahu, because i did enjoy some of waikiki, and i just didnt finish exploring the island the first time. We did diamond head, manoa falls, iolani palace, pearl harbor, and punchbowl crater. My wife wants peace and quiet for a couple days and i want to explore the island. We both really want to rent a boat, but is it even possible, or better yet affordable. We don't want to rent a yacht or anything, just a boat. i've been looking on vrbo.com for a room, kinda want to stay away from the hotel scene. any help or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Ag3046

I would chose a different island. You can always go back to re-explore Oahu.

I would forget about boat rentals, unless you really want to spend money. It's the ocean out there. Lots of things can happen. Not difficult to find all kinds of boating trips that will take you out on the water...snorkel cruises, sunset cruises, fishing, parasailing.

Old Oct 16th, 2007, 12:24 PM

Lots of info including sites with free brochures for all islands:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34812564
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 01:01 PM

How about a Norwegian Cruise Line cruise that hits 4 islands but you never have to unpack? Pretty cost effective too.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

thank you for the suggestions, i looked at a majority of the websites that dusty posted, most I'm seeing are about Oahu. Any kind of cruise is out of the question, because on this trip, my wife and I are intending to create a new boy or girl.(we want to give it a Hawaiian name) We want complete privacy. at least for a few days, then on to explore. i forgot to mention i'm a Foodie, so i love trying new foods, and experience many restaurants. We really don't need a boat after thinking it over, if she still wants to hit the water, i'll hit the water out here. i'll keep looking at the sites posted, since there are so many. I'm still open to suggestions. thanks
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 07:39 AM

Are you interested in going to any of the other islands or only Oahu?
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Ag3046

Ohh, then you might want to explore renting a house on northern Kauai, or maybe a house in Hana on Maui. Those would be very romantic and private to me. I would really encourage you to try a different island.

Also use Hawaii state section on this board to bring up old posts. There were several trip reports of houses that people rented in various places that were wonderful-looking, and had links. There was on one The Big Island that was in a jungle setting, but had views forever.

Old Oct 17th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Ag3046

Also look at Makena, Maui on vrbo. There were several waterfront homes there that have terrific locations and would be very quiet and private. One had an outdoor hottub, I remember. They were not as expensive as a club-level room at the Ritz-Carlton.

Old Oct 17th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

yes. i'm considering other islands. i will not be one dimensional. i want to see all perspectives for a wonderful trip. speaking of vrbo.com and maui, are things running more smoothly with the license agreement? and also which is better, licensed person or unlicensed? thank you all, and keep the recommendations coming.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 10:13 AM

I've always been fascinated by this house on the BI--http://www.onionhousehawaii.com/index.html
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Ag3046

Maui is currently scruitinizing non-licensed rentals and will be shutting them down. I would not send any money to an unlicensed rental on Maui. You may not have a place to stay and lose your deposit.

Old Oct 17th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Ag3046

Keep reading the Maui News www.mauinews.com for updates.

Old Oct 18th, 2007, 06:18 AM

If you are a foodie, go to Maui. So many wonderful restaurants to explore around the island. The island itself is also beautiful and romantic, with plenty to keep you busy during the day.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 08:09 AM

Just remember that 75% of all the population of all the islands of Hawaii reside on the island of Oahu - so it will be harder to find peace and quiet there.

I vote for another island for your 'peace and quiet' and an inter island flight to Oahu for a day or two of sightseeing.

All the islands have great food - just do your online research first

Rent from a reputable person, if you go the B & B or condo route, get a faxed copy of their license!!!

HAVE FUN!

Old Oct 18th, 2007, 09:08 AM

Expensive - But PRIVATE
www.hotelhanamaui.com/