Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Anyway ever cruised to Hawaii? We're Honeymooners

Anyway ever cruised to Hawaii? We're Honeymooners

Apr 25th, 2003, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Anyway ever cruised to Hawaii? We're Honeymooners

Hi, I'm getting married next year in May. My fiance wants to go on a cruise and I want to go to Hawaii, so we are thinking of cruising to Hawaii. Has anyone ever done it? Which is the best cruise line to use? How much should it be? Any other great info would be appreciated. Thanks!
Apr 25th, 2003, 09:45 PM

I don't care for cruises in Hawaii for several reasons. One, Hawaii has more world class resorts in a small area than anywhere else in the world, and no cruise ship stateroom will match the quality of the better resorts. You're missing out on the pools, the beautiful grounds, the freedom to walk around and come and go as you please, to soak in the atmosphere. Two, there are many great restaurants on Maui, Oahu and the Big Island in particular, and the food you'll get on almost any cruise ship will be poorer quality but not necessarily cheaper. Plus, on most cruises you'll end up eating the majority of your meals on the ship.
Third, it's a hassle to embark and debark for activities on land and the cruise lines typically charge quite a bit extra for shore activities, and they usually are getting a kickback from vendors so often you're coerced to use their preferred agents. Fourth, and maybe most importantly, it's hard to really immerse yourself in the overall laid back aloha ambience of the islands when you're based on a ship and always running back and forth from ship to shore.
One advantage of an island cruise is that it's all prepackaged--your meals and lodging and transfers and such are taken care of for you. But you can't really feel like you're part of the 'island experience' when based on a cruise ship. Hawaiian cruises aren't nearly as popular as land packages.
The situation with Caribbean and Mediterranean cruises is different. The advantage of cruising there is that you can see many different islands conveniently in areas where it is very inconvenient and expensive to arrange interisland transfers for land packages (because the islands in those areas are very spread out, and involve changing countries, etc). In addition, there are crime issues in the Caribbean which are insignificant in Hawaii.
To me, a Hawaiian cruise trip is like going to Paris but staying in an airport hotel and eating at McDonald's and visiting Disneyland Paris. You hardly experience the very things which make the place special.
Just my 2 cents.
Apr 25th, 2003, 10:57 PM

Well put rwilliams!!! I totally agree regarding cruises. Cruises do not allow enough time in each port to enjoy the place. Go to Hawaii, but not on a cruise. You will spend more time on the boat(like being at a big hotel) than in port. I can see why older people like them.
Apr 26th, 2003, 05:22 AM

If you go on the cruise to Hawaii you will be a sensation on the boat. The only people not in their 80's will be families with lots of kids going with the grandparents in their 80's. Go to Hawaii, you will love it for all the reasons previously posted.
Apr 26th, 2003, 06:15 AM

I also am not a fan of cruises. However, as a compromise, you might want to look into chartering a boat in Hawaii with captain and crew. You can set your own itinerary for each place, and have all meals cooked on board, or just take breakfast and do you own lunch and dinner in port. You could do like a 3/4 day charter and also stay in a hotel on one of the islands, to get the island experience. If you are experienced with boats, you want to do a bareboat charter - that is no captain or crew. I wouldn't do this unless you have significant experience with boats.

I have not chartered a boat in Hawaii, but have chartered boats in Thailand, and am considering doing the same in the Greek islands next year. Really total pampering and I really like setting my own schedule. I think it would a great way to see a group of islands like Hawaii.

I would imagine there are numerous charter companies in Hawaii, chartering both sail and powerboars. I would suggest you run a search on the web for "boat charters - Hawaii" and also post a question on Hawaii boat charters either here or on the curise board.

If you are interested in the Thailand or Greek charters, write back on this trhead and I can give you information.
Apr 26th, 2003, 06:57 AM

Well, we are not eighty nor did we bring any kids on our cruise from - not to - Hawaii this month. In fact, our tablemates were a couple that got married at sunset on the beach in Honolulu three days before the ship sailed. Second, the largest "group" of folks traveling together on our boat was around 400 or so "Friends of Dorothy," who conducted their own water Olympics in the ship's pools; a great time was had by all.

All that said, it's true that you don't have much time in any one port; on the other hand a day or two on four islands certainly can help in picking places for land-based exploring later.

The cost for a cabin with a balcony on most Hawaii cruises runs around $100 per day per person inclusive of meals and "entertainment" if you choose to partake. Pretty cheap for a waterfront room fully as comfortable as some non-view rooms we've had at Hawaii resort hotels.

Because we knew most of the places we stopped, we bugged out on the ship's expensive excursions and just rented cars to head off to beaches or drives or restaurants we knew about.

It's not for everyone, but we felt no more processed by the cruiseline than we do by multinational hotel chains flogging their resorts. It really depends on what you want - if you want to spend days by a beach, or explore the upcountry, or hike etc., then the cruise's timing may not be the best. But if you want a glimpse of the islands, but also want several absolutely serene days at sea, the cruise might be an okay option. Or, you can do the cruise before or after a land-based holiday (say a week on some island, then 10 days on the boat sailing around the rest of the islands then across the Pacific back to the mainland - or vice versa) and you have the best of both worlds.
Apr 26th, 2003, 08:31 AM

Gardyloo is absolutely correct..you can get a taste of the islands, read up ahead of time what you'd like to see and explore on your own, then you can go back another time. We have found cruising gives us a little taste of the islands and then we've gone back to places we never would of on our own. NCL is/was doing the Hawaiian Islands, but there is some talk they maybe giving up the run. Do some research on the ports that the ships do and compare costs. Wish you a happy married.
Apr 26th, 2003, 11:10 PM

RE: Gardyloo's message

"then (sail) across the Pacific back to the mainland"...

Can you do that? I didn't think you could sail from the mainland to Hawaii.
Apr 27th, 2003, 05:11 AM

There are one-way cruises that atart or end up (as did ours) in Ensenada (south of San Diego) so that they can conform to the Jones/PSA statutes.
Apr 30th, 2003, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies to my questions. There seems to be many different views, which is good, I appreicate it. Does anyone happen to know the cost of a cruise to Hawaii vs. possibly just flying and staying there? I wish we had all the money in the world so I didn't have to compare, but this wedding is getting expensive, so price is a major consideration. We want to have a great honeymoon, but need to do it with a budget in mind. We live in New York, so the flight itself I have heard is really expensive. Any thoughts on this? Also, anyone that went on a honeymoon elsewhere that wasn't terribly expensive and still wonderful, I would love to hear your thoughts on this as well. Thanks, this is the first time I've used this sight, this is really helpful. -April
Apr 30th, 2003, 09:43 AM

Hey April. My fiance and I are going to Hawaii for our honeymoon. We're arriving in Honolulu on October 25th of this year. We're cruising for the first week and then staying in Kauai for the second week. I understand your issues with being on a budget. I used my frequent flyer miles to get free round trips from Detroit to L.A. for both of us and then booked a flight through Hotwire from L.A. to Honolulu. The price for that, for both of us, was $760. Cheaper than what I had seen, but still not a steal. I wish I had checked out EBay before I made my reservations...check out this link...I can't believe how cheap! http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...&category=3256 We just booked a B & B on Kauai for $100/night...there's a pool, a hot tub, breakfast every day and waterfalls VERY close to the place. So, you can find reasonable deals on land. As far as the cruise, NCL is the only cruise line that does 7-day cruises within the Hawaiian islands. I found our cruise through a website called vacationstogo.com. I got it for $700/person, which I think is a great deal. Because we're honeymooners, we get lots of perks...if you decide to cruise, email me at [email protected] and I'll hook you up with the info. I can also let you know how it goes, since I'll be back long before the two of you take your honeymoon! I hope this helps!

Search this Thread