Group Traveling to California Wine Country; any lodging suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A group of 10 30-something friends are planning a trip to the California wine country for 4-5 days in April (to celebrate my 30th B-day). We just got back from a week long trip in Tuscany enjoying Brunellos and Chanti in a country-side villa. We are looking for something similar in California. Perhaps a quiet escape in a villa or B&B, but not a typical hotel. I hear that Healdsburg is really nice with a adorable town. Any help and suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 01:15 PM

Start here-
http://www.wineroad.com/lodging
after that come back here and type "Healdsburg" in the search box for the US forum. There are a zillion posts. Then you can ask questions about specifics. Should be lovely here in April !

R5
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 01:37 PM

We stayed in a B&B in St. Helena and thought the town was charming. If you get a chance and it interests you, try to do a hot air balloon ride - that's one of our favorite vacation memories.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 07:11 AM

You might find Fess Parker's (yes, the same guy that played Davy Crockett in the Dinsey movies) place interesting. It's near Santa Barbara and you can check it out at www.fessparker.com for all the events, etc. I've become a real fan of his wines.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 09:20 AM

We just returned from a trip to wine country. I agree with the suggestion for Healdsburg. We drove through on our way to some of the Dry Creek wineries and I thought it would have been a nice area to stay. We used the town of Sonoma as our home base because we were also visiting some wineries in Napa and it was closer. But the charm of Healdsburg was evident - I wanted to return there. FYI the Dry Creek area has great zins if you like those.