Search

Retirement Trip

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Retirement Trip

AFter teaching elementary children for 31 years, I am retiring, and one of the parts of celebration shall be a trip to Hawaii. I am seeing land/air trips and cruises. On the cruise itineraries, one spends half the vacation time at sea. Will someone suggest the best way to see and enjoy Hawaii for the first time, and probably for 14-15 days? We live in Pennsylvania. thanks
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 04:44 PM

I don't think that a cruise is the best way to visit Hawaii. I would suggest visiting two islands for a week each. I especially love Kauai and think Kauai/Oahu or Kauai/Big Island would be a wonderful trip.

Enjoy your retirement...it's a great time of life!
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 06:58 PM

You would probably get more responses if you re-submit your message with Hawaii in the title. Retirement Trip Hawaii.

I think you would like a land vacation better than a cruise. On a cruise, you won't stay in any one place to really enjoy it.

In 14-15 days you have time for three islands.

Here is a thread with lots to do on Oahu. Many of the websites on the thread are good for all islands:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34652188

Maui:

www.mauihawaii.org

www.visitmaui.com

Big Island:

www.bigisland.org

Kauai:

www.kauai-hawaii.com

www.kauaidiscovery.com

Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 06:04 PM

Ring me up as another to skip the cruise and go for more time on the islands of your choice!

We spent 8 nights Maui and 6 Oahu last July, and it was not enough! Still, saw and experienced more of Hawaii than you would on a cruise!

Do a search for my TR, and go to worldisround.com for my pics.

I don't think you can 'go wrong' choosing any of the islands, just do your research for what YOU enjoy & want to do/see.

The Revealed books are great for helping you plan, as well as the folks on this board!

Belle
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 01:38 PM

Congratulations on your retirement. It would help if we knew what kind of activities that you are interested in as the different islands have different things going on. Also would this be your only trip to Hawaii or do you plan to visit again. These questions would help define what you'd want to do.

The cruise will give you a bare overview of the different islands and I suspect you won't feel the spirit of aloha on the islands, but instead be on a boat just like any other cruise. In other words you'll be on a cruise that happens to stop in Hawaii, but not in Hawaii.

If you really do like cruises then one idea would be to take the cruise the first week and see the different islands and then when you disembark decide which island you want to actually spend time.

Also Hawaii is a place where it is very easy to get around on your own and easy to make your own accomodations so don't feel compelled to go with packaged tours.

Alan
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

We are two couples in the 60s. Some beach days, walking, touring pearl harbor, attending a luau, seeing natural beauty, some shopping, and entertainment would be our fare. Thanks for your help and hope that gives you more ideas. We will not return, as we would like to see a lot of the rest of the world instead.
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 10:29 AM
GoTravel

Nothing to add but congrats and TTT
for maribeth!

Old Oct 31st, 2005, 08:54 PM

Ok, I would recommend that you go to two islands, one of them being the Big Island. If you really like big cities or come from a small town and don't get to big cities often then the other island could be Oahu. For me I want to get away from the hustle of the city and so I'd choose either Kauai or Maui as the second island plus a day in Oahu to see Pearl Harbour.

The Big Island has the volcano which is something you do not want to miss. it also has very diverse landscapes, lots of natural beauty and a few great beaches. I suggest some time in Kona and some time in Hilo.

I choose Kauai over Maui because I feel Maui is too built up, has too much traffic and feel that visitors are more isolated from the local people. Kauai also has more natural beauty everywhere. Maui does have more things to do and has great beaches and has fancier and more luxurious resorts than Kauai.

My advice is to do some more research on the different islands to see which ones appeal to you the most.

Alan
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 03:05 AM
CherokeeRose

There is only one cruise, I believe, that goes to all of the islands without spending so much time at sea - you fly to Hawaii, then get on the Pride of Aloha & cruise from island to island for a week. There are pre & post cruise options to spend more time on the islands.