Reload this Page >

21 year olds in Lahaina or Wailea??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 05:22 PM
sherrie

My husband and I are going to Maui with our 21 year old son and friend next year..(graduation gift.....SOunds like the action is in Lahaina....but some of the posts make that area sound awful with some really tacky people....we were trying to stay at Maui Marriott....but could also stay at Renaissance in Wailea....but would they enjoy that area???

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 05:58 PM
dejahma

NO, NO, NO your kids will not like Wailea. Read the posts, Wailea is for honeymooners and golfers. Kaanapali and Lahaina is for the younger crowd.
Yes there are tacky people in lahaina, but not to worry they are not mugging people. I took my 20 year old daughter there last march for spring break and did not worry (too much) when she wanted to go to town alone (lahaina). Marriott will be perfect for 21 year old boys. They can walk to Whalers and up the beach and you don't have to worry about them driving. They will have a way better time on the west side (and you won't have to drive them everywhere unless you plan on paying extra for the rental) than they will on the south side. Renaissance sp?? is BORING for anyone not on honeymoon and under 40.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 06:00 PM
e

Ditto

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 07:44 PM
Steve

Tacky people in Lahaina??????I've been there many times, and besides the fella
rowing his kayak by Cheeseburger in paradise with one of those "adult" blow up dolls in the front seat...........
But really, Lahaina is the place to be after sundown for some fun.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 09:41 AM
Frank

What a narrow minded, ignorant generalization, dejahma.

My wife and I have gone to Maui almost every year since we were married in 1990. We're still under 40. Neither of us golf. We stayed in Kaanapali and Wailea the first time (for our honeymoon).

We've never been back to Kaanapali--even to visit--and never will go back.
Too busy and overrun and tacky for our tastes.

We go to Hawaii to enjoy the relaxed atmosphere, beautiful scenery, and great resorts. Wailea is perfect for our needs.

BTW, one of my business partners took her 12 and 17 year old sons to Wailea and stayed at the Kea Lani for spring break this year. The boys had the time of their lives (her words).

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 10:10 AM
MM

Wailea = boring. I cannot imagine 21 yr olds thinking it's exciting. Lots more to do and see in Lahaina area. Stay at the Marriott and pop into Lahaina in the evening. It's only a couple of miles, vs. 45 min ride from Wailea. I've been to Maui 14 times and we always stay in the Kaanapoli area, first of all it is much greener and lush looking, and there is more to do. Unless you are honeymooners or golfers as another poster put it I'd opt for Kaanapoli,I am sure the 21 yr olds will enjoy themselves.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 10:17 AM
bbb

It may be a generalization, but it is neither narrow minded nor ignorant. Like all generalizations, they apply in the majority of cases but not all cases. And it is a reasonable generilation that most 21 year olds will prefer Kaanapali over Wailea.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Lenore

Lahaina felt like Spring Break to us and we were glad we didn't stay there. However, we're in our 40's and not big partiers, so Wailea was perfect for us. Your 21 year olds will probably be bored in Wailea.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 12:59 PM
laura

I'd go for the Lahaina area, and I'd stay on Kaanapali. My husband and I are both relatively young although we aren't 21. We love the Kaanapali area. We've never experienced big crowds, but we usually go in late August or September when the crowds have thinned some anyhow. We've always had our own area to relax and enjoy the sun, but we also like people around the general vicinity. You'll find many different avenues for entertainment in Lahaina and Kaanapali for the older and younger. There are upscale restaurants, cheesy restaurants, and inexpensive restaurants. I think your 21 year old will be bored in Wailea. In addition, Wailea is fairly upscale so there tend to be older (but not OLD) people there. On Kaanapali, do the Hyatt's luau. Send your son and friend out for a night of young fun while you and your husband go to a nice dinner on the beach at Pacific O.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 08:54 PM
dejahma

Frank;
Frank:

I'm confused by your message. "We go to Hawaii to enjoy the relaxed atmosphere, beautiful scenery, and great resorts. Wailea is perfect for our needs." But you are a couple not a pair of 21 year old boys. Your needs are not necessarily theirs. I would expect that 21 year old boys would enjoy different things than married couples. You also state that a friend of yours with 12 and 17 year olds had a great time in Wailea. I believe this is also true but I still don't think that 21 year olds would like the same things as 12 year olds. Obviously this is my opinion but feel free to exercise your "narrow minded, ignorant generalizations" Frank.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 03:12 AM
bbb

"21 year olds would like the sdame things as 12 year old". You obviously never had kids or at least they have not reached 21 yet. A 21 year old is an adult and interested in adult things (such as girls and drinking). A 12 year old is a child.