Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which area of Maui should I stay Wailea-Makena or Ka'anapali - Lahaina?

Old May 9th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which area of Maui should I stay Wailea-Makena or Ka'anapali - Lahaina? I am going on my honeymoon in October and wanted to know everyone's thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks.
Carly
Old May 9th, 2005, 11:13 AM

When I was on my honeymmon, we stayed at the Fairmont Key Lani in Wailea. Even when we went back to Maui last year, we staye din Wailea..this time at The Four Seasons.. I would definately suggest Wailea to anyone because it has some of the best restaurants close by, a beautiful shopping mall, beautiful resorts. I guess you see I love it!

Lahaina is too touristy for me. Not musch to do, but walk around and see boring shops and mostly all chain restaurants. OK to see for a day, but that is about it.

I am sure everyone will have different opinions, but Wailea is it for me!! Especially if this is your honeymoon!

Have a great trip!!

Bebe
Old May 9th, 2005, 05:51 PM

We stayed at Kaanapali and had a great time there. Aston Kaanapali Villas. We were there in October, and the beach wasn't crowded at all the 5 days we spent there. Far enough away from Lahaina, but close enough to go there. It was great!
Old May 9th, 2005, 06:34 PM

It really depends on YOU! On my 2004 visit, I stayed in both Wailea and Ka'anapli, and my husband and I both preferred Ka'anapali. But our reasons were because of our interests and personalities. Wailea was more upscale and the Shops at Wailea were gorgeous, but overkill for my tastes. The weather was considerably warmer and more humid there as well. We liked Kihei for the proximity to shops and restaurants that were more affordable.

We moved up to Ka'anapali for the second part of our stay to a condo north of the Black Rock. The weather was gorgeous, cooler and the breezes more enjoyable. There were so many more things to do in Lahaina, which is much closer to Ka'anapali than Wailea. Whale watches depart from either Maalaea or Lahaina and we found the shopping to be an excellent mix of budget souvenirs and expensive high-quality collectibles. And, if you like jewelry.....you will LOVE Lahaina....

We are going back Feb 2006 and we are actually staying in both again, but not by choice. We rent only condos and the best two condos that have exactly what we want (neither was available the entire time, believe it or not!) are in S. Kihei (bordering Wailea) and Ka'anapali. At first we were disappointed that we had to move during our stay, but after thinking about it, our first stay is in S. Kihei, it is closer to Kahului (when we land) and we can do a few things in that area before we spend the bulk of the time in Ka'anapali. We plan on taking a helicopter ride and that would mean going back to Kahului...shorter from Wailea than Ka'anapali. So it all will work out great.

Also, the Road to Hana starts nearer to Wailea than Ka'anapali (unless you start it by going the North Coast drive which I don't think anyone would recommend).

If you have further questions....please ask!
Old May 10th, 2005, 12:48 AM

We spent our wedding anniversary in Maui in January. I don't know what your budget is, but I'd suggest some time in a searanch cottage at the Hotel Hana Maui...for the ultimate in romance! When we arrived at our searanch cottage with our own jacuzzi on our private deck, my husband checked everything out and then he said, "this place is amazing. I almost feel like I don't deserve it." "Well, who deserves to stay here, then?" I asked him. "I don't know, probably the King or the president," he said. Well, I think after a few nights at this exquisitely romantic place, I convinced him that he IS the King!

I have some photos I can send you by e-mail if you want, some taken from the Hotel Hana Maui, some taken from the Maui Prince hotel on Maluaka beach, just south of the beautiful Wailea area. I also have 1 or 2 photos we took of the Kaanapali area, just to remind ourselves why we were glad we didn't stay there.

Kaanapali is the most crowded area so lots of people stay there and enjoy it. Everyone has different experiences and you'll need to figure out what is best for you.

Happy honeymoon!

Everyone has their own tastes, but we drove over to Kaanapali for the afternoon just to see it, and we thought it was really over-built, and totally not for us. Big hotels built just one right on top of the other, dozens and dozens of lounge chairs right out in front by the public sidewalk... If you still want to stay there, pick the Sheraton, we walked past all the hotels along Kaanapali and thought the Sheraton had the best location, on the best part of the beach.

So I suggest Wailea-Makena for your honeymoon! Plus 2 or 3 nights at the Hotel Hana Maui in a searanch cottage, if you can afford it, on the other side of the island.

Old May 10th, 2005, 06:36 AM

It's true....it just depends on you and what you want. Wailea is VERY nice, but it's also VERY expensive and just as touristy! Wailea has the most expensive hotels on Maui. So depending on your budget and whether or not you want to go all out, you might not want to stay in Wailea. Kaanapali, Lahaina, and Wailea are all very touristy spots. We always stay in Kihei to get away from all that. But since it's your honeymoon, you might want something different.
Old May 10th, 2005, 07:32 AM

Gotta put my two cents in for Maui Ka'anapali Villas in the Lahaina/Ka'anapali Beach area. Like (tommyd) stated above, it's very quite, that part of Ka'anpali Beach is not crowded, your removed from the hustle and bustle of Whaler's area, but still close enough to walk (via the golf course) or a short shuttle ride or 3 minute drive to Whaler's Village, or 5 minutes to Lahaina, on a good traffic day. Plus as I've said before on other threads, their is a very good restuarant on the property, it's ocean front and serves B,L, and dinner, with a great little poolside bar!

Lori
Old May 10th, 2005, 07:57 AM

Hi Skidmoc,

I have stayed in both areas and really like some of the above said this is going to be a personal choice for you, both are lovely, but after staying in both areas, we prefer Wailea.

Kanapali is a nice area and was good for a first experience to Maui, but I agree with bebe, of the two areas it is more touristy, Whaler's village shopping area, is an easy walk from the high rise hotel area.

Wailea is more quiet, the Shops at Wailea are more high end (Tiffany's, Tommy Bahama, etc.)

You can search under my name for our trip report. We stayed at the Renaissance Wailea, in the Mokopu Beach rooms wing, and found it wonderful, perfect for a honeymoon, also after seeing many hotels, we found Renassaince to be an excellent value. The only caveat, as is mentioned in my trip report, is that the pool area is nice but not nearly as luxurious as say the Fairmont, it was adequate for us, because we spent most of our time in the double canapied cabana chairs on the private lawn facing the ocean in the Mokopu.

I would not recommend the Kihei area, not nearly as nice as Kanapali or Wailea, it was my least fav area.

It is Maui, and is wonderful, whether it is Kanapali/Lahaina or the Wailea area you will enjoy it.

Aloha! T.
Old May 10th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Deblynn

Thanks to all the great posters on this forum, we will be taking our first trip to Maui in June. We finally decided on Kaanapali for 4 nights @ the Sheraton and 5 nights @ the Maui Prince in Wailea area. That way, we can try both places. Like everyone says, everyones personality and tastes are different. I have done alot of research on restaurants, etc. and both areas have excellent dining. Whatever you choose, a vacation in Maui is better than being at home!

Old May 10th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help.... You all had great recommendations!
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:56 PM

We did our honeymoon and first aniv. on Maui, 19 days until we return for our third anniv. We love Wailea, we stayed at the 4S and I can not say enought about it. Our second year we stayed in Lahina at the Plantation inn and loved it as well, we split that trip with half PI half 4S. I went to Kanapali and I don't like the whole strip hotel feel of it. this year we are doing Lahina, Hana, and Wailea! If I had to pick just one I would say 4S for the honeymoon! Have a good trip!
Old May 10th, 2005, 10:36 PM

Deblyn, have a great trip in June!

good luck with your decision, skidmoc.