Reload this Page >

2 week cross country drive

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 05:58 PM
vgoodridge

We'd like to plan a cross country drive. We can set aside 7 - 14 days to do so and will be starting in northern Kentucky and want to travel west. Suggestions please!

Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're going to have to provide a lot more information to get any responses. How old are you? What kind of travel do you like to do: adventure? museums? history? What is your travel style: get in the car and drive fast down the interstate, mosey along backroads, stay in fancy hotels or small B&Bs, eat at chain restaurants or try the local ones.... You get the picture. Nobody can plan a vacation for you. You have to decide, at least in general terms, what you want to do, and then I think you'll find lots of good suggestions from fodorites.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 07:10 PM

Do you have an end destination in mind? It would be easier to give suggestions of a possible route if we knew the general area that you would like the most western location to be.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 07:17 PM

Which direction to you want to go? From the Blue Grass State you can go several different ways and go cross country.
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 04:06 PM
vgoodridge

we're both in our mid 40's and tend to lean toward the mosey along and see the sites way of traveling. We don't mind getting off the beaten path a bit. Museums, historical sites, gorgeous views, and great food would be highlights! We're fine staying in chain hotels ... a clean room and comfy bed is a must at the end of the night. I think that Nevada is as far west as we'd like to go and we'd like to see as much as possible between here and there. We're flexible in planning when to take the trip but are thinking spring before everyone is out of school.

Old Oct 7th, 2006, 06:51 PM

I drove 80, Indiana to California in July. Would have liked to explore Lincoln Nebraska longer, there is a beautiful new Hampton Inn in York, Cheyenne has always been one of my favorites and my new favorite is Park City Utah. Wish I had stayed in Elko Hampton Inn instead of Winnamucca.Highly reccomend the Hampton Inn's, my first choise all the way, they would call ahead for me to make sure I would have a room waiting. Also was treated so kindly just stopping in just to check my E-mails and let family know my status and that I was safe traveling alone. Make fabulous memories what ever path you decide, our country is awesome changing beauty. I had great CD's to enjoy my own soundtrack to my experence. Can't wait to go again feeling well! Have fun!
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 07:14 AM

We did a fabulous 2 week drive from Ohio many years ago. We headed out 90, past Chicago to Custer State Park, through the Badlands to Yellowstone and the Tetons, down to Rocky Mountain National Park and then back on 80 to Kansas City and then home. We did long days of driving but that way we could spend several days in each of the Parks. If you are looking for gorgeous views, it's hard to beat the national parks.
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 08:57 AM

If you are just wanting to meander across the country pick up US-50 and follow it all the way across the country to the Silver State. Leave the Interstates for your return when you need to make good traveling time. We do this type of traveling a lot. Makes for an interesting trip. We use the AAA Tour Books and maps to find things along the way.
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 09:33 AM

If you're going to be driving both directions, I'd go one way on the Northern route and one way on the Southern route.

Must sees for me on the Northern route would be Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, then through Utah and Nevada. Can you go as far as Yosemite? Then back through Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon, the Southern Utah parks (Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands and Arches), over to Mesa Verde, and East. 2 weeks probably can't accommodate all of that.

Buy an Annual National Park Pass. The $50 will be a bargain on your trip.