Sedona: nearest airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. Planning on a short visit to Sedona in April. Is it better to fly into Flagstaff, Prescott, or Phoenix. How far is the drive to Sedona from each? We are flying in from Chicago. Thanks for your help.
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 03:42 PM

Probably best to fly into Phoenix and drive the 2+ hours to Sedona.
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 03:50 PM
P_M

Flagstaff and Prescott will be closer, but that doesn't mean it will be a time-saver to fly to those cities. You can probably get a non-stop flight from Chicago to Phoenix, whereas you will have to make a connection if you fly into Flagstaff or Prescott. Even then you will still have to drive for an hour, so it makes more sense to take the non-stop to Phoneix and drive for 2 hours to Sedona.
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 03:53 PM
emd

Does it cost a lot more to fly into Flag? I've gone to Sedona so many times and have always driven from Phoenix Skyharbor, but Flag is a lot closer (about 45 min from the airport to Sedona). I don't know about rental cars at the Flag airport either, are they there and plentiful? It's a smal airport. What time would you arrive in Flag? It is a treacherous (for me) drive on 89A btwn Sedona and Flag at night if that makes a difference; road is high, very dark, 2 lanes without guardrails on much of it, and big drop offs on the side, it's a canyon.
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 04:01 PM
P_M

I'm glad you brought that up, emd. It's been 7 years since I visited Sedona, but I did find it considerably more expensive to fly to Flagstaff. Furthermore it would not have saved me any time to fly to Flagstaff, so I flew non-stop into Phoenix. And it's not a bad drive between Phoenix and Sedona.
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. It sounds like flying into Phoenix is definitely the way to go. Your help is much appreciated!
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 10:42 AM

It's a very easy drive from the Phoenix airport right up the interstate and then cut over to Sedona.