Search

2 Seattle questions

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 Seattle questions

We are going to Seatte, early June, for a long weekend. I originally picked the Artic Club as our hotel, but now it has suddenly turned into a Doubletree Hotel. Does anyone have any comments about Artic Club, pro or con, especially in light of it now being part of large chain?

#2: This is our first trip to Seattle and I think we'd really enjoy a hike or day trip that included some of the beautiful terrain and natural surroundings. Does anyone have a rec for a one day activity like that which will not require a rental car. I'm really adverse to paying $40+ night to park a car and I understand that Seattle has good public transport and is very accessible on foot. I suppose our other option is to rent a car for one day at a downtown location.

Thanks for any help you can give
Old May 16th, 2009, 09:59 AM

Hi RLUCIDO

I asked a similar question about a year-and-a-half ago and here about parks, which may address your question #2.

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...ic-transit.cfm

Beauty highlights for my June 2008 visit were The Burke-Gilman (bicycle) Trail, which had lovely views on the clear day I went; also, walking along the Alki Beach Peninsula of West Seattle; neither are what I would call "unspoiled wilderness", but did have some beautiful terrain & surroundings.

Best wishes, Daniel
Old May 16th, 2009, 05:48 PM

I would rent a car for the day. Normally I would recommend heading out to the Olympic Peninsula (Olympic National Park) since there will be snow-free trails to hike out that way in early June, but since the Hood Canal Bridge will be closed through mid-June, it's not a good bet for a day trip. Mt Rainier will still have lots of snow. Twin Falls State Park, past North Bend, should be snow free by then and you can stop at Snoqualmie Falls on the way to or from.
Old May 16th, 2009, 06:04 PM

I have not stayed at the Artic yet, but have booked it for August because of the outstanding reviews on Tripadvisor. I also got a great price when I searched online- $119.00-nonrefundable.
Old May 17th, 2009, 08:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Arctic is so new, I really haven't heard much about it yet.

Snoqualmie Falls makes a nice easy day trip, it's only an hour away. If you really want to get out of town, I think it's worth it to rent a car for 1 day.

If you want to use only public transportation then perhaps going to one of the large city parks would do it for you, like Discovery Park on the Sound, or the Arboretum on Lake Washington.
Old May 17th, 2009, 08:22 PM
ALF

If you don't want to rent a car, you could take a Metro bus (#209) to Snoqualmie Falls, where you can walk down to the base of the falls (and back). Not a long hike, but pretty, and the falls themselves are great.

The bus transfers are a little bit more involved, but you can also take a combination of Metro and Greyhound buses (http://www.getlostmagazine.com/mcbee...rness/sno.html) to Snoqualmie Pass, where there is tons of good Alpine hiking. There will be some snow remaining in June, but you can still go on a hike as long as you don't climb much higher than the elevation of the Pass.

Another idea would be to take the ferry from Seattle to Winslow, on Bainbridge Island. It is a scenic ride, and then you can walk around Winslow and out along the shoreline.
Old May 17th, 2009, 09:18 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
We went up to Mt. Rainier yesterday and both the Sunrise and Stevens Creek entrances were blocked - too much snow. Roadside snowpack at Cayuse Pass (Chinook is still closed) was around six feet. Paradise is 800' higher than Cayuse Pass, so I imagine it's even deeper there.

I would rent a car for the day, then return it before you need to pay for parking.
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:42 PM

The Artic Club is in a recently remodeled historic building. I presume it has joined Doubletree so that it will be easily located by those who seek a hotel at the Hilton web site.

When I was a kid, we took a Greyhound bus to North Bend and climbed Mount Si: http://www.mountsi.com/

Greyhound no longer serves North Bend.

I suggest you contact The Mountaineers for suggestions about local hikes that are accessible by public transport: http://www.mountaineers.org/ScriptContent/default.cfm
Old May 20th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the info.

I still have not settled on a hotel and am thinking we might be better off closer to Pike Place Market. Maybe the Alexis?
Old May 21st, 2009, 04:40 AM

The Alexis is nice. You might also check out the Warwick (which is toward the north end of the Market, the Alexis is more toward the south).
Old May 21st, 2009, 06:16 AM

I agree, the Alexis is very nice. We stayed there a couple years ago and loved it. Have also stayed at the Warwick and while the location is nice, I don't think the two compare, IME. Another place that I really like is the Mayflower Park(have stayed there several times).

Another vote for the Mountaineers. We are members and they are a fantastic organization!
Old May 21st, 2009, 07:56 AM

You will be right at the Market if you stay at Inn at the Market. BTW~they do have valet service.
Old May 21st, 2009, 12:57 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Ditto the suggestions for either the Mayflower Park hotel or the Warwick. My two favorites. They are both great places in a mid-price range.
Old May 26th, 2009, 05:22 PM

Interested in your hotel recommendations. we will be in seattle before and after an alaska cruise. i am looking for a smaller hotel..maybe closer to the pier (66).