Search

Seattle trip question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2003, 09:21 AM
lkj
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seattle trip question

Visiting Seattle for 6 days over Labor Day. We had tentatively planned to spend 4 nights in Seattle, and 2 nights at the Salish Lodge. After reading many posts, I am now wondering if we should just eat breakfast at Salish one day, and spend the two nights in Victoria or on one of the San Juan Islands... your advice/recommendations (and where to stay) are very appreciated!
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 09:36 AM

It really depends on what you're looking for.

If I had to pick ONE thing, besides Seattle itself, that we most enjoyed, I'd pick Olympic NP. No, make that Mount Saint Helens. Or, Mount Rainier...

We like beautiful natural scenery, and some hiking.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 09:56 AM

I think you might be disappointed if you spent two nights at the Salish Lodge. Your time is so precious. I drove there shortly after moving to the Seattle area, having heard so much about it and was not particularly impressed with it, in comparison with other attractions in the area. The area around is fairly developed (commercialized) and the mountains are not so steep, high or impressive as many elsewhere.
I'd go to Friday Harbor, for the blue waters, rural island, music by the docks and lovely small town feel; Victoria for the Museum, clear skies, lovely waters, good shopping, and cute town (though crowded and touristy - still lovely); Mt. Rainier or Hurricane Ridge for the majesty.
That all said, I'd vote for Hurricane Ridge, as you can take a ferry to get there; see and Victoria from it over the Strait of Juan de Fuca; and enjoy the steep, magnificent peaks with a nice hike.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 10:24 AM
E

I agree-- go to the Salish for brunch and to check out the falls, but spend those 2 nights elsewhere. I can't imagine what there would be to do there for 2 nights that could compare to your other options; the "town" the Lodge is in is slightly grotty. And while we enjoyed our brunch at the Lodge, it wasn't spectacular, either. (The falls are awesome...)Have a great trip!
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 10:33 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
My personal opinion is that the Salish is way overpriced for the product, and that includes the whizbang breakfast. Time was that the country breakfast was a real tourist draw, honey from the sky and all that, but now it only seems like an overpriced, overindulgent affair, a supersized version of what you can get for half the price in lots of other places. Okay, so I'm a grouch. Plus, by Labor Day there will be very little water going over the falls, so the spectacle of Snoqualmie Falls won't be quite so spectacular. Not terrible, just below par.

If you plan to head out to the islands or Victoria, get a move on for bookings. Remember it's Labour Day in Canada, too, so any place where folks from both metropoli (Seattle and Vancouver) can escape to will be jammed. I would personally try to go for some place that can be reached by road, or at least by the high-capacity ferries operating out of Seattle, Edmonds or Tsawwassen; routes using smaller ferries, like the San Juans at Labor Day, offer legendary backups and waits for boats. How much do you like parking lots?

In the time you'd take to get to the San Juans, you can get by car out to the Pacific coastal strip of Olympic National Park. Even if you have to stay in Ocean Shores or some such place outside the park boundaries (very few accommodations within the park) you can take walks along spectacular beaches or stroll through the amazing rainforests at Hoh or Quinault, and still be able to drive comfortably back to Seattle when you need to come home. No ferry fares or delays, either.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 01:07 PM

I agree. Go to the Salish for brunch or lunch, do the hike and be done. We spent three nights in Seattle, one at Mt. Rainier, three in Vancouver, one in Victoria and two more in Seattle. I was only sorry we didn't have an extra day and night at Mt. Rainier.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 01:11 PM

In my opinion that whole Snoqualmie Falls thing is pretty overrated. We considered spending a night at Salish but decided instead to just do a day trip from Seattle. It was a fairly short drive from Seattle - maybe an hour and a half. We enjoyed seeing the falls but were very happy we didn't stay there. Once you have seen the falls you're pretty much done - not much else to see or do there. I would recommend driving down from Seattle for the day and spend most of your time in other areas recommended by other posters - Olympic Pen, San Juans, Victoria, etc.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 01:48 PM
lkj
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the advice. Do you have a website by chance for Ocean Shores in Olympia National Park, or any hotel recommendations for Mt. Ranier? Also, we will be flying out around noon, is there time to get to the airport from either of these places, or would it better to spend the last night in Seattle? (I just hate changing hotels for one night.) Thanks so much for your help!
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 02:23 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Start with these http://www.visitlakequinault.com/
http://www.nps.gov/olym/pphtml/lodging.html
http://www.manitoulodge.com/
http://www.tourism.wa.gov/RegionCities_R4.html
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 02:55 PM

Anywhere you go that involves the ferry system will be PACKED.Having been to all the named places--
Olympic Park,&Lake Quinalt would be my choices Related to time-
Mt. Ranier is closer to Seattle than Mt. St.Helens
Port Angeles has many motels and isjust down the mountain from Hurricane Ridge and fairly close to Olympic Park.
IF you are really determined to go to Victoria---The only logical way is to go on the ferry at Port Angeles as a "walk-on" and spend the day.
You will love Seattle!!!!!!