Search

Must see in Seattle

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2004, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Must see in Seattle

We (2 adults on child) will be travelling to seattle on Jun9 for 4 days stay. We plan to spend 1-2 days in the city and would like to get ideas for the other 2-3 days. We love scenic drives and nature parks. We will rent a car. Any suggestions?
Old May 22nd, 2004, 12:35 PM

We enjoyed the scenic drive called the
Cascade Loop, especially visiting the
town of Leavenworth.Route 2 to Wenatchee... Or hop on a ferry
to one of the islands, or over to Victoria,BC and go to the beautiful
Butchart Gardens...worth the trip!!
Old May 23rd, 2004, 10:16 AM

Almost impossible to choose. Unless you are from the Rocky Mtn. region, I would travel the Mt. Rainier National Park loop then head west via US12 to Kalaloch on the Pacific coast of Olympic National Park. Complete the Olympic Peninsula loop, including Hoh Rain Forest, Hurricane Ridge and Port Townsend.

Otherwise, north to Anacortes and walk on the ferry to Friday Harbor for a day trip then continue on to Vancouver Canada OR over the North Cascades to Winthrop for a stay at Sun Mountain Lodge, include Grand Coulee Dam, Dry Falls, and return via US2, Stevens Pass (as suggested by judybug). These are both two night trips.

Don't worry, when we have a spot of good weather in June (not reliable), you really can't miss.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 05:12 PM

I just spent 5 days in Seattle in April. Two of my favorite activities on the trip were riding the ferry from Seattle to Bremerton and traveling to Snoqualmie Falls. The ferry ride to Bremerton provided a great view of the Seattle skyline, as well as the Puget Sound. The children on the ferry were having a great time feeding the seagulls. The cost is under $5, roundtrip, if you are on foot and not bringing a car across. The trip to Snoqualmie was well worth the 45 minute drive. The falls were breathtaking (higher than Niagra) and my whole family was envious when they saw my photos.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:11 AM

For time in the city I love the asian art museum which is in a city park as well, it is associated with the seattle art museum, so if you go to both in one day it is discounted. Another in city park I love is Green Lake, which has a .5 to 1 mi loop around it and is always hopping. And Alki beach near the Ballard neighborhood is also a good in city walk- you can also see the salmon ladders at the near by locks.
Or head accross the water by any of the local ferries and hit the olymopic national park, just wonderful.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:52 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
It's still a little early for much high-altitude sightseeing such at Mt. Rainier. I'd suggust you spend your away days traveling (via ferry to Bainbridge Island) to Port Angeles on the north coast of the Olympic Peninsula - visit Hurricane Ridge just south of town - magnificent view of the Olympic Mountains, have lunch at the 3 Crabs in nearby Sequim ("Skwim") - maybe the lavender fields nearby might be showing some early color. If time permits, take the ferry from PA over to Victoria BC (as a foot passenger - no need to line up hours ahead with your car) for the day.

Return to Seattle via Port Townsend and (via ferry) Whidbey Island, stopping in Langley at the south end of this very long island. The drive back into Seattle via SR 526 will take you past the biggest building in the world, the Boeing widebody assembly plant.

Don't know what your child's age or interests might be, but most kids will get a major kick out of the Museum of Flight on Boeing Field in Seattle. Not just a Concorde but numerous kids' exhibits as well as many cool things for Mom and Dad to see.