2 San Francisco questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We need transportation from SFO to the Argonaut at Fisherman's Wharf. I see the are several shuttles. Any ideas if one company is better than the other?

Also we can't make up our minds if we should take the cruise to Angel Island and the tour of the island.
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 10:16 AM

The cruise to Angel Island is really nice, the island is fun to explore and you can take some snack etc. You con't way when you are going but if it's a clear day the views are terrific, so I guess it just depends on how you want to spend your time. Does you hotel run it's own shuttle? Some of them do.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 12:03 AM

Hi Peggy,
Probably the best way to go is SuperShuttle (aka "Blue Van") You will see signs for it all over the airport. It will take you directly from SFO to your hotel.

If you have AAA, mention that to get a $2.00 Discount per passenger.

There are many other shuttles. The difference is, Supershuttle tries to put people in one van who are going to similar locations. They also limit the amount of stops. Other vans will load everyone on, and they you wind up stopping all over the city and it could take you several hours to get to your hotel. Don't worry if you see a long line for SuperShuttle. Again, they match up the people with the location, so it actually moves quickly.

Angel Island is nice (you didn't say when you are visiting) you could hit some cold, windy, foggy weather. It's mostly for biking, walking, hiking and picnicking. (did I spell that right?)

You can do Alcatraz for only $16 for the full audio tour, and also get amazing views of the Bay. Just a thought.

Have fun!!!
Andiamo
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, andiamo, for the shuttle advice. We've been on shuttles before where we were the last ones off after going to a dozen hotels. Also might as well save $2 each w/AAA. I wouldn't have thought of it.
Gotta love this site! I get more valuable info here than from any book.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 09:25 PM

It has been awhile since I have been on ANgel Island and I didn't know they had a tour of the island. Last time I was there, it was a do-it-yourself tour which was very intersting. It is a lovely walking island with a very intersting section on the Chinese camps that were there (the Ellis Island of the West for the Chinese) YOu can bike ride on the island but as I recall you bring your own bike.

I highly rec. the Alcatraz tour as well. I have stayed at the Argonaut - very nice hotel.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 06:39 AM

If you want to go on an Alcatraz tour during high season, I recommend booking in advance. The tours are very popular and the most desired times often sell out, particularly on weekends. http://www.blueandgoldfleet.com/

Woody
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 06:46 AM

Angel Island is great - beautiful views on a clear day, interesting history that a lot of people don't know much about, and some nice walking trails. I would play it by ear and go out to Angel Island if the weather is nice. If there is a lot of fog, I probably would choose to do something else instead.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 11:51 AM

I live in the city, and never bother myself with reservations from the airport. Just step outside, there is a shuttle employee with a walkie-talkie, tells you how long is the wait, puts you on the next shuttle depending on the destination, I'm home, thank you.

I do make advance reservation to go to the airport, and my favorite is Bay Shuttle.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 06:36 PM

Just visited over the July 4th weekend and stayed at Argonaut. My mom flew into SFO and took Quake City Shuttle and I flew into Oakland and rode with some fellow passengers in a towncar. Her Quake City Shuttle driver brought her over immediately from the airport and did not make her wait for the shuttle to fill up. I couldn't believe it when he pulled up and she was already there - and was the only one in the van! Great driver and great service. It was a very pleasant surprise.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 01:56 AM

Hi Peggy,
Forgot to mention, you do not need to make reservations for Super Shuttle when you are at the airport and going to the hotel. However, once you are at the hotel and going BACK to the airport, you should probably make a reservation (1-800-Blue Van) The hotel will advise you. But, again, no worries, you don't need to have a reservation to go from the airport to the hotel.

Andiamo
(And don't forget to mention your AAA discount!!!)
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 03:39 AM

We have 4 people in our family, and so a cab was just as cheap to go from the airport to the wharf. To go back to the airport, we ordered a shuttle from Bay Shuttle the day before, and it was $10 per person. I think you can get it for $9 if you use their website, though.