sanfrancisco and angel island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious about adding on the angel Island Tour to the Alcatraz Tour with the Blue and Gold Tour. Has anyone been to Angel Island? What is there to see? Seems to me I read somewhere that they were doing renovations and presently everything was shut down...however Blue and gold has a tour. My husband expressed interest in going there as his mother immigrated to the US through San Francisco port and was detained at Angel Island while paper work was processed...she was Chinese. He was interested in Angel Island from this point of view.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 06:03 PM
SAB

The Immigration Station Barracks is closed for renovations, unlike Ellis Island it doesn't have access to immigration records for the 175,000 mostly Chinese immigrants who came through. Angel Island has a website: angelisland.org. I think it has fabulous views and is a great place to go biking and have a pinic.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 06:13 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
As far as I know the only thing closed is teh Immigration Barracks. Now you might have special interest in that site - but the is a LOT more to Angel Island.

Not sure I'd do it as tout though - but that is up to you. If it were me I'd take the ferry to Tiburon, have brunch or and early lunch on the waterfront (several good places) and then take the State launch over to Angel Island. There are Victorian homes (now lodging for the park rangers,), Civil war, WWI, WWII, and cold war sites, the most amazing views of SF/the bay/the Golden Gate/Berkeley/East Bay, deer and other wildlife, and vast areas of forest/meadows. All in addition to the immigration center.

Or - take a picnic and eat on the island. There is a small snack bar on the island - but taking yummy stuff from SF or Tiburon would be better.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 06:14 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
sheesh - darn typos.

" . . . Not sure I'd do it as tour though . . . "
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 06:28 AM

Don't miss Angel Island! We went for the first time last year and really enjoyed it. I agree with janisj that you don't need to go with a tour group.

We took the ferry out from Tiburon. There is a tram tour that does a loop around the island with stops along the way for views and pictures. Even if you intend to do some hiking, I think the tram is worth it because of the historical talk the driver gives. We bought tickets for the tram on the island.

The history is interesting and the views are magnificent. Take a picnic lunch and enjoy a wonderful day.