Phillips Island

Old Oct 27th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Phillips Island

Our cruise ship will dock on Phillips Island for 6 hours. We want to go to the Penguine Parade. Has anyone been there and if so do you know the best tour to pick-the- Sky Box, Penguin Plus, or the Ultimate Penguin Tour? Will we have enough time to do the tours or just see the parade?
Thank you
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 02:17 PM

The Penguin Parade and perhaps the Koalas are the only reason for the ship to dock at Phillip Island. It is a small Island and they are the main attraction. The Penguins, 700 plus, waddle in at dusk after a day's fishing. It is quite a sight and takes about an hour. They and the rest of Phillip Island go to bed and I am sure that is when you will return to the ship. You should have plenty of time to do any tour.
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 02:21 PM

http://www.phillipisland.net.au/penguinparade.html
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 02:42 PM

I'm not sure what all those tours are that you mentioned but I wouldn't recommend spending too much on any of them. You can pretty much just turn up and you'll see as many penguins as anyone who has paid a premium for some sort of packaged tour.

It's a pretty simple phenomenon: the penguins come out of the water and walk up the beach to their burrows. There are lots of vantage points and there's no guarantee which will be the best on a given night.
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 04:45 PM

It is just Phillip Island btw.
As indicated above, it will not matter which tour you pick as far as penguin parade goes as tickets have to be paid for to enter the penguins area, no choice on vantage point for there are concrete tiered stands where everybody awaits the dusk and after arrival, there also being flood lights to see as most actually arrive in the dark.

If the boat makes anchor much earlier in the day, the other island attractions are Koala Conservation and Churchill Island House - Island details here - http://www.islandsofaustralia.com/vi...phillipisland/