17 year old sports guy in DC.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bringing my son to DC for an educational experience. He is not too excited about going. I am sure we will be able to do a museum a day but am not sure what to pick. We have a flight museum in Seattle (Boeing)and we went to Cape Canaveral in Florida 2 years ago. I think he is done with that.

I am not sure what else will appeal to him.
Planning on...
tickets to the White House/Capital.
Tourmobile
Cemetery
Monuments
Holocaust
Mt Vernon

Would like to take in a museum but not sure where to look. Checked out the Smithsonian site but was still confused. Anyone out there taking there jock teen and found the perfect fit.

Help I want this to be fun also!
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 03:59 PM

Well - if he's not up for Air/Space check the web site of the history museum to see what they have (I know doesn;t sound right - but they often have unusual displays of Americana - heard they're doing one now on the history of HipHop). Also - perhaps natural history - minerals/gems - or???

And if he's big into sports - what about a baseball game?
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 04:02 PM

Hi

I to took my 15 year old Captain of the basketball team to DC in Oct. He (along with my other kids) was very reluctant on going and complained quite a bit before leaving. But he loved it!! Before that trip he only wanted to go hang on Hawaii Beaches, now we leave for NYC in 2 days because he wants to see the world.

He found the Captial tour very cool and he liked the Arlington Cemetery tour a lot. When asked his favorite monument was FDR's. His favorite tour was the Treasury one (cannot place the name at the moment)next door to the Holocaust Museum. He thought that was really cool to see where they make the money and all. He loved the Smithsonians especially the air and space one. He also enjoyed strolling through Georgetown.

He just told me he really thought the National Cathedrel was cool but bummed we missed the tours.

I think he will be surprised with how great DC is (and cheap to). Also the International Spy Museum was a hit especially the store at the end of the tour. He bought all sorts of stuff.

You will have a great time!! I am jealous.

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 04:11 PM

I don't usually recommend the Spy Museum, but it might be a good idea in this case. Food court and view from the Old Posst Office tower (much more comfortable and convenient than the Washington Monument). For monuments/memorials, I bet his favorites would be Lincoln and Roosevelt, but don't skip Vietnam.

See what's playing at the Smithsonian IMAX Theatres at Air& Space or Natural History. Have him look through the Smithsonian web site to see what special (or regular) exhibits might appeal You never know what will catch a kid's cfancy -- ancient coins, live insects, pandas? My own son loves the zoo.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 04:14 PM

I think that the place Momof5 couldn't quite name (near the Holocaust Museum) is the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, which I almost mentioned. People seem to either love it or hate it. IIRC, the tours must either be arranged in advance, or you can get timed tickets early on the day of the visit?
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 04:38 PM

My kids liked the Capitol tour especially because we got private tour from intern in our Congressman's office - I would contact his/her office (local office often works better than DC office) and see what they can offer you.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 08:41 AM

There's a BIG variety of things at the Museum of American History. Agree that the Spy Museum seems to capture young visitors' interest. Pop in at National Building Museum ... they are always changing the exhibits, some great, some so-so. Agree with clock-tower tour of Old Postal Pavilion (not to be confused with Smithsonian Postal Museum). Some of the free 6pm daily concerts at Kennedy Center are great, others worth the price of admission. Kids seem to love "Shear Madness", an audience-participation "who-dun-it" at Kennedy Center ... it's light and funny.

You could also take MARC train up to Baltimore & visit Camdem Yards & maybe see a game, as well as visit Inner Harbor. Enjoy your trip.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 09:17 AM

<<...You could also take MARC train up to Baltimore & visit Camdem Yards & maybe see a game...>>

I've got a much better idea - hop on a blue/orange train and go see a NAT'S game!!
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 09:20 AM

Here's the National's schedule - home games are the dark squares:

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/...x.jsp?c_id=was

Old Mar 7th, 2006, 09:43 AM

The Nationals are going to light the National League on fire this season. Guillen, Zimmerman, Church and Soriano will hit thirty homers and Vidro will bat .300 +. Patterson will win the Cy Young Award. Robinson will be Manager of the Year. It will be a good year to be National fan. Your son will rejoice in watching a game at old RFK this spring.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 11:48 AM

Or if it you are traveling before baseball season, got see the Washington Capitals play NHL hockey. They have the leagues' top rookie (well, ok, tied for first maybe) tearing things up.

Old Mar 7th, 2006, 11:53 AM

These are all great suggestions. The American History museum would seem to be a great place for teenagers of any gender.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

This is great information. Thank you for your suggestions. It seems tickets to see the capital are all booked out for April. Popular month to go. We reserved our plane tickets last minute until airfares went down.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 10:33 AM

I'll bet he'd like to take a tour of DC on a Segway.

Looks like great fun..and you only have to be 16. My sons are older and they would like it even now.

http://www.citysegwaytours.com/washi...ur/index.shtml

Old Mar 8th, 2006, 10:46 AM

I second the trour of the capital. I take it you are from Washington. Contact Murray or Cantwell's office and see if they can set it up.
When I interned there I loved giving tours.
Also when I was there (summer 2004)both senators hosted "constituent coffee" one morning a week, and you can see the senate office, meet the senator, then go on a tour using the underground transportation to the capital.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 10:47 AM

oh and I forgot to say that you could usually do this even when the official tours of the capital were booked.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 10:56 AM

Too bad you couldn't wait until July 25-27 and help boo Barry "'Roids" Bonds as he shuffles to the plate when the San Francisco Giants come to DC.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 11:29 AM

George - I predict Barry Bonds will be out of baseball, either temporarily or permanently, by that date.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 11:40 AM

gail, pray that you are right. The legitimacy and integrity of baseball is in question right now. Not only should Bonds be suspended for life, his, McGwire's and Sosa's home run seasonal home run records should be taken down. Roger Maris should retain his season record for home runs.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 12:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Plan a meal at ESPN Zone or a few meals. A sports fanatic's dream. A whole wall of tvs showing sports around the world plus a ton of games to play. I think it is around the corner from the Ford theater.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -