Search

15 hour layover

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
15 hour layover

Me and my mom are traveling abroad. We are flying into JFK at 6:29am and flying out of EWR at 9:55pm that night. With luggage pick up travel time between airports check-in at EWR and all Im figuring we have about 10 hours to do something. When we return from Europe we will be spending a week in NYC so I dont what to try to go into Manhattan. I was thinking about spending some time in Queens since its close, but dont know what to do really. Does any one have any suggestions...about Queens or anything else that might be fun????
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 04:59 AM

There are a number of things to do in Queens but will you have your luggage?

And unless you hire a cab to take you to directly to Queens all other means will take you through Manhattan. I think it would be easier to spend the day in Manhattan and then take one of your seven days on the return and go to Queens.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 06:15 AM

Queens is largely suburban and while there is good service into and out of Manhataan by subway, express bus and LIRR - traveling around queens is difficult except by car. And cabs are rare except at the airports (locals use car services if they don't have cars - cabs stick to Manhattan and airports primarily).

If you really want to see some thing in Queens that day and with luggage I think what makes sense is renting a car at JFK, seeing what you want, drive to Jersey, have an early dinner and drop the car at EWR.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 06:30 AM

I'm with them. The Louis Armstrong Museum is not far away on the Q 48 but if you have luggage it'd be a pain and wouldn't open til 10 or 11. If there's anywhere you can temporarily leave your luggage, I'd take a bus to Flushing and wander there then go back to LGA and figure out how to get it EWR.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 03:39 PM

As others have said, being lumbered with luggage makes doing anything in Queens impractical unless you consider taking a hotel room somewhere there which may not a terrible idea. The big question is what interests you since Queens is huge. The Panorama at the Queens museum is certainly worth a visit and not far from LGA airport where there are a lot of hotels. I think the Louis Armstrong home is not far but not walkable. panamhotel.com is another idea with free shuttle from the airport. You could leave luggage there, visit Armstrong House & panorama, maybe have a nap and a meal and head to Newark.

The Country Inn & Suites in Long Island City is relatively inexpensive. If you could negotiate a day rate there, you could go to the Museum of the Moving Image and the Noguchi Museum if those appeal to you.

But frankly for practical purposes, doing something in Manhattan where you can check luggage with Schwartztravel.com for the day makes more sense.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

We will have backpacks, not luggage per se, so that will make treking around much easier. We are flying into JFK not LGA. Im a little confused...Dont you go through Queens to get to JFK???
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 07:09 PM

sorry - I hoped you were at LGA - easier to get around nearby - If your luggage is manageable - do as mclaurie says -- go to Manhattan and check it with Schwartztravel.com and save Queens for your return.
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 10:58 AM

I understood you were flying into JFK. You stated that in your first sentence. But there's nothing right around there to see. You asked about sightseeing in Queens and people told you what they thought were worthwhile stops. JFK is at the eastern end of Queens and you have to head west and pass through the area around LGA (and the places that have been mentioned) to get to Newark. Look on a map like maps.google.com

What you seem not to fathom is what walking around any sightseeing venue is like for OTHER people if you've got big backpacks on your backs.
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 05:30 PM

Trekking around Queens on public transit with giant backpacks will not be fun. These are buses and trains meant for commuters and are often standing room only. And you can't take a seat or the space of another person for your backpack.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Ok. So feedback taken into consideration... My mom and I are going to take the E train to Port Authority, put our back packs in lockers, spend the day in Manhattan, and take a shuttle bus from Port Authority to EWR about 4pm to allow plenty of time to get to the airport and check-in. So that being said...any suggestions as to what to do in Manhattan??? I dont want to do any of the big touristy stuff until we get back...when we will have a full 7 days to do all of that.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 04:52 PM

I do not believe the Port Authority terminal has storage lockers. NY had a rash of bombings years ago and I believe all the transport hubs removed lockers.

But, googled storage options and found this:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/schwartz-tra...orage-new-york

If you don't want to do touristy stuff, not sure what else you might consider as the only other options are sleep, eat, or work.

If it's a nice day, why not consider a stroll through Central Park? There is plenty to see and even if here as a tourist, you'd be hard pressed to see all of Central Park.

I might suggest entering the park right about 6th Avenue and meandering north from there. If you happen to have a phone with a GPS just wing it.

If not a nice day, why not consider a museum. The Met, MoMa, Guggenheim, or Museum of Natural History can easily take a day per museum. Why not get one out of the way now?

Personally, I never tire of The Met and have barely seen half of what they have in a full afternoon.
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the link. That place is going to come in very handy!!