11 Year Old Nephew in NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am taking my 11 year old nephew to NYC. He is at that awkward age when a children's museum seems too young, but the Met or MoMA may be too much. Any suggestions on activities and dining that may interest a child of this age? We'll only be in the city for a few days.
Old May 15th, 2005, 10:59 AM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34611696

I think this will be a great help to you!
Old May 15th, 2005, 01:59 PM

I find with kids that age that it is best to limit visits to an art museum to at most two hours at a time. Because the Met is so big, I also find that it is best to look at its website before you go so that you know what exhibits or rooms you want to visit. The Frick, Whitney and Brooklyn Museum are not as overwhelming and kids that age may appreciate them more.

Our daughter, who is the same age as your nephew, found the displays of the most current “art” at the MOMA to be hilarious because she can’t believe such artwork actually found its way into a museum.

You may want to consider: Sony Wonder Technology Lab, Museum of Natural History; Hall of Science (in Queens); Liberty Science Center (Jersey City).

Look at “Manhattan Kayak Company” for a kayak ride on the Hudson. That is pretty good.

You may want to go to an off-broadway show such as “Blue Man Group” or “Cookin’”

There are so many good restaurants that you should first figure out what type of food you’d like to try and then ask again for suggestions.

Frommer’s “New York City for Free & Dirt Cheap” by Ethan Wolff lists a lot of cheaper things to do.

Old May 15th, 2005, 03:27 PM

I have never seen a kid who didn;t adore the Museum of Natural History. Also the Intrepid. If you do the Met carefully pick out the departments in advance - perhaps Arms and Armor - or the Egyptian section (he's probably not ready for midieval painting).

Other possibilities: the Central Park zoo(smallish - but not for kids only) - or the real zoo in the Bronx. Also - the aquarium - and perhaps some tacky rides and games in Coney Island.

Definitely do at least one boat ride - either the Staten Island ferry, one of the circle lines or the ferry to Liberty/Ellis Islands.

Not sure when you're coming - or his interest in sports - but how about a baseball game?

For dining - what cuisines/budget. Will he want fun stuff like Ellen;'s Stardust Diner with the singing wait staff - or would he prefer plain pizza and burgers at a local joint? Depending on where you're staying - some neighborhoods (upper west side, lower esat side) have lots of inexpensive neighborhood places of all varieties.

(Really encourage you NOT to do any of the chain restaurants - or theme restaurants - they are very expensive vs basic NYC places - and the food is often quite poor.)
Old May 15th, 2005, 03:51 PM

You don't say when your trip is but if you're visiting while the weather is warm I would suggest The Beast, a speed boat trip around NY harbor - a different way to see Manhattan and good fun for an 11 yr old.

Do it as late in the day as you can since you will probably get wet and you'll want to go back to your hotel room to change before going out for the evening.
Old May 15th, 2005, 04:09 PM

Definitely take him to the Museum of Natural History, including one of the planetarium shows.
Old May 15th, 2005, 04:14 PM

My boys liked this place when they were that age:

http://www.sonywondertechlab.com/index.shtml

It's all techie stuff.
Old May 16th, 2005, 05:09 AM

The Intrepid Air and Space Museum might be interesting. If you follow the suggestion of a ride on The Beast, they are within 3 blocks of one another.

If you want something a little more laid back then the Beast, the South Street Seaport has several tall ships and one small schooner that does Harbor cruises.

The Museum of Natural History might be more interesting to an 11 year old, especially the Planetarium.

My slightly older nephew had a blast at Madame Tussauds (sp?) on a recent trip.

If he's the adventorous type and it's within budget, I believe there is a place on the West Side where he can learn how to "fly" on the trapeze.
Old May 16th, 2005, 10:09 AM

If you're in the village area, check out the Forbes Gallery (on 5th av @ 13th st). It's a great little gallery with many of M. Forbe's collections (toy ships, soldiers, historical documents and other items, monopoly boards, etc). This has been one of my son's favorites for many years.

If your nephew likes baseball, he may like an mets or yankees game, or even checking out the little leaguers who play in various locations including Central Park.

Little Italy is a great place to take him for dinner. There are several shows he may enjoy (Blue Man, Slava's Snowhow, both off-broadway, and on broadway Hairspray, WIcked if you can get tickets, Phantom).
Old May 16th, 2005, 11:13 AM

Museum of Natural History
Statue of Liberty
Just walking in Central Park
Just walking on the streets of NY
Jeckyl and Hyde Restaurant--Great fun!!(I must respectfully disagree w/the person who steered you away from "theme restaurnants", I thought this was a really fun place, esp for kids of his age--too intense for munchkins)
Old May 16th, 2005, 12:23 PM

How about visiting the "House that Ruth Built"?? Very easy to get to Yankee stadium from Manhattan. Take the 4, B or D subway lines to 161st Street. About 30 minutes on the train...if the Yankees aren't in town, there is always the NY Mets in Queens.