Waldorf Astoria - worried abou the service...

May 14th, 2005, 11:10 PM
Original Poster

Waldorf Astoria - worried abou the service...

Hello,

I booked a 3 nights stay at the Waldorf Astoria for my parents without doing my research (was finals week and didn't have much time) and now I am worried as I have been reading very mixed review both on Fodors, Trip Advisor, and other traveler sites. I got the Concierge Suite for them and I am hoping this won't be a bad experience. Its their wedding anniversary and I just want them to have a good time.

I searched for other threads on this and read through them and very mixed reviews there too

I thought about canceling the reservation (I did it through the hotel itself) and looking into the New York Palace, Sofitel, Omni Berkshire but cannot find anything reasonably priced. New York Palace is at least a $2000/night... ridiculous. The Sofitel doesn't have any avaliable rooms and the Omni Berkshire gives me a $799/night on the website compared to $599 on Expedia. The thing is, Expedia does not let you use the Omni Select Guest preferences & benefits and they do not guarentee anything about the room. Not trusting that..

What do you all think? They are going to NY on May 18th, staying through the 21st. You think I have any chance finding them something around $500 (give or take $100) at a nice NYC hotel (preferably 4 or 5 starts)?

Am I panicking for no reason?

Thanks!
May 15th, 2005, 04:53 AM

I think you are panicking for no reason. I haven't read the reviews on Trip Advisor lately, but I think the "knock" on the Waldorf is more that the mid to lower priced rooms are dated and could use renovation. The nicer rooms are probably good and I've never had a problem with the service there -- especially if you're paying for a nicer room.

I think you're unlikely to get something as nice on such short notice for less than what you've already been quoted.

The Waldorf is a classic. The public areas are phenomenal. I'm sure it will be a memorable weekend for them!
May 15th, 2005, 05:48 AM

Your parents will do fine in the Concierge Level. Keep the reservations.
May 15th, 2005, 06:32 AM

I stayed at the Waldorf two summers ago on Hilton Honors pts. We were given a small room with no view. In it's defense, it was extremely comfortable. The beds were heaven to fall into at the end of our days of sightseeing. I think you will have a great room on the concierge level. A suite will have a lot more room. It is really a lovely hotel. I am sure your parents will enjoy their anniversary. You are a good child to give them such a nice present. I would not change my reservations.
May 15th, 2005, 06:55 AM

Someone commented here about reviews on TripAdvisor and other sites - people are much more likely to post a negative review than an acceptable/positive one. Keep that in mind.
May 15th, 2005, 06:59 AM

my former boss and his wife lived at the waldorf for a number of months when they arrived in nyc from australia--in one of the suites. they are very discerning and loved the hotel. i actually first met him in the suite and it was very nice.
May 15th, 2005, 07:05 AM

A suite on the Congierge level will be very nice. I agree with the last two points - the least desirable rooms may be small but those go to those paying the lowest rate (or free with points) and people tend to complain rather than rave on tripadvisor (and elsewhere). I use tripadvisor a lot and am embarrassed that I've never posted a review. I know I should to keep the system working correctly.

I definitely agree with girlonthego. You're a special child to give your parents this special anniversary gift.

Do call the hotel ahead of their arrival and let them know its their anniversary. They may do something special for them (even more of an upgrade if available). If they don't offer to do something special (flowers or champagne in the room upon their arrival) you can call the hotel to order something similar and charge it to your credit card.

I've stayed at Hilton properties on points and have been greeted by champagne and fruit basket upon arrival. Such a treat!
May 15th, 2005, 07:13 AM
GoTravel

Every time I've ever stayed there it has been fantastic.

Like the other poster said, even with the less desirable rooms, the beds were fantastic and service impeccable.

May 15th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Dear lisettemac, HowardR, girlonthego, gail, lolfn, starsville, gotravel:

Thanks for all the responses. As I said before, it was my mistake to not to do the research before I make the reservation, but after reading all your responses, I feel a lot better.

I got the room through their own reservations phone line so incase anything goes bad, they cannot blame Expedia or anything

Thanks again, and any more comments are welcome! The more positive responses, the better I'll feel
May 15th, 2005, 03:02 PM

I think you've gotten good advice. I would add you should enroll them in the Hilton Honors program ASAP online (for free) and make sure they give their membership number when they check in. I agree you should also contact the hotel prior to their stay to alert them of the anniversary. You might even mention the reviews you've read and your concern that they have a wonderful stay.

I am curious about whether you meant $500/night or for the 3 nights though. I see rates on Quikbook.com for the Omni Berkshire for a deluxe king room for $429 for 2 nights and $319 for the 3rd night. I think that's quite expensive but wanted to bring it to your attention.

There is still no denying the recognition factor of the Waldorf. I think your parents could have a great time there.
May 16th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

mclaurie:

thanks, joined the honors program.

it was $599/night.

i'm hoping its going to be alright. thanks all again