Search

1 day in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2004, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 day in NYC

Next week I will be travelling to the east coast for work and will have a free day which I want to spend in NYC - I will be in NJ, just going into NYC for the day.

So, with 1 day for NYC, I am trying to decide how to spend it. Daunting task, I know, which is why I thought I would post here and see what ideas you guys have. I will be going with one other person who is basically game for anything, and said she will enjoy whatever I choose.

I've never been to NYC before although I have been to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty on a tour from New Jersey. I know I will have the opportinity to NYC again, so I am not trying to "do" the city in 1 day, just see some things and take advantage of a free day in the middle of the trip.

So the things to see that comes to mind immediately - Central Park, the Empire State Building, the World Trade Center, the Brooklyn Bridge. I am also interested in going to the Tenement Museum. I've heard good things and been to the web site and it looks very interesting.

I am interested in historical and cultural things, good food (cheap eats, nothing fancy - would love to eat in a classic NYC deli), architecture, neighborhoods, people, good views. I like some art, but am not a big gallery person and I don't care for shopping unless we are talking streetfairs or shops with interesting or unique things - no designer boutiques - LOL. And we are both in decent shape so walking distances is not a problem.

What do you guys think? Any input? Ideas? While we are at it, I *might* be able to get a 2nd free day on this trip depending on how things go. My first thought was to go back to NYC, but since we will have a car, we can pretty much go anywhere. So, other than NYC, what places would you recommend for a day trip within a 2 hour drive of northern NJ?
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 08:14 AM

I guess it depends in part on which of those things you mentioned are more important than others. Some of them are relatively close together. For example, you could see the World Trade Center site quickly and it isn't far from the Brooklyn Bridge. Just a little further uptown from there, you could have a quick and inexpensive lunch in Chinatown and then head up to the Lower East Side for the Tenement Museum. This will likely take up most of your day, although if you have time, you could then head over to the Empire State Building and see it at dusk. That would be my suggestion. Search this site for Chinatown restaurant recommendations.

BTW, if you wanted to make it a "downtown day," there are other things to see downtown, like the NYSE, Battery Park, Federal Hall, the Seaport (mostly a mall, but the waterfront and boats are cool), etc.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 08:59 AM

I second lisette's itinerary. However, if you want to go to a famous NY deli, go to Katz's on the Lower East Side for a great pastrami sandwich. It's near the Tenement Museum.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 10:54 AM

Just in case you get weather like we've got this week (6" snow expected tonight) you may want to have an indoor alternative. In that case I would suggest Museum Mile (the Met and a host of other great places). I would make this # 1 above downtown - but museums are a big focus for me. But definitely a good back-up if the weather doesn;t cooperate.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Rob

If you decide on visiting the Tenement Museum you might consider spending the day in the downtown area. For a deli go to Katz's, a short distance from the museum. Also within walking distance is the Brooklyn Bridge , World Trade Center site, Chinatown, Little Italy and not too far away SOHO and its many shops.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I have heard of Katz deli and was thinking it might be a good place to have lunch.

Chinatown would be fun too - it would be interesting to see how it compares to SF.

Very good point about having a foul weather plan. It's hard for me to think of bad weather right now - it's got to be at least 90 deg outside today in the Bay Area.

If anybody has more input, I would be happy to have it.

I was thinking for the 2nd free day, if it materializes, Philly might be a good destination. Any thoughts on that? Or maybe a less urban destination to balance out the experience?
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 02:28 PM

Why wouldn't you want another day in NY?? Just bEcause you have a car doesn't mean you have to use it. Do you know about the Grayline bus tours? The downtown loop would show you a lot. Check out their website.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Rob

You might consider a day trip to West Point and Bear Mountain.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

I'm not opposed to another day in NYC - as I said in my original post, I was thinking of spending both days there but I am interested in other options as well. I mentioned the car to let people know we aren't limited to places that can be reached by public transportation.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 04:31 PM

The weather forecast for next week looks really nice and spring-like. You can walk over the Brooklyn Bridge to the world trade center site and then to Battery Park City/beautiful parks on the river. If you are interested in museums, the museum of jewish heritage is in battery park. You can then take a cab (this way you get to see some more of the city) or subway (if you are in a rush and don't mind crowds) Of course, if you want a really nice walk and are in good shape and have time you can walk to midtown through soho/greenwich village and then up 5th avenue)and then go to the top of the Empire State Building.
- If you have the chance to come into the city on another day, for something a bit different, you can go up to the cloisters/fort tryon park (this is a branch of the Met with much of its medieval art, in a beautiful setting, built around a reconstructed cloister) This should give you the feeling of being "somewhere else" while being in Manhattan.
-a two hour drive would get you to the hudson valley, west point, philly, longwood gardens.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

I've been checking the weather forecasts too and and very happy to see a warming trend for next week.

Thanks for all the help!