1 day in Manhattan Beach with boys 5 & 7

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a hefty layover at LAX on Thursday 2/16. I plan to head into Manhattan Beach for lunch and the aquarium. I've been given a couple of restaurant suggestions, The Kettle and Uncle Bill's Pancake House. Does anyone else have any favorites? They are generally well-behaved kids and I would like to go to a fairly nice/interesting restaurant that I would also enjoy. In addition, does anyone know of a good toy or book store in the general vicinity of the aquarium? Thanks!
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 09:45 AM
jd

When we are in the area, we like to eat at Mama D's on Manhattan Ave. It has great Italian food at reasonable prices. We also enjoy P.F.Changs, which is on Rosecrans.
If you drive a few minutes south to Hermosa Beach, there is a good mexican restaurant on the pier called Cantina Real.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 02:02 PM
lvk

This is a great website listing all of the shops, restaurants and parking in the "downtown" area near the Manhattan Beach Pier. It even has a map of the area:

www.downtownmanhattanbeach.com/

I second the Mama D's suggestion. It has consistently good pizza & Italian food. For the best view, you could try Beaches. (www.beachesmb.com) I haven't been there in a while, but last time I was there, the food was only so-so. There's also El Sombrero for Mexican, Wahoo's Fish Tacos, and several sushi restaurants.

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 02:11 PM

Kikianne, the MB aquarium is a tiny little place at the end of the pier. It has limited hours and I will post the link since I do not know what time you plan on visiting.

http://www.westsiderc.org/c/s_mbpa.htm

http://tinyurl.com/amk8f
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:21 PM

Actually, I suggested Beaches Restaurant, in your last thread, along with The Kettle. At first you were considering taking a taxi with your young children somewhere to kill time, and now you have your sil picking you up at LAX with a car. I would suggest her driving all the way to the pier parking lot, and lunching at Beaches, right there. The salads and sandwiches are just fine. I take visitors there in the daytime for the terrific view of the pier and ocean.

Sent website of pier. Roundhouse Aquarium is a hands on place at the end of the pier. Nothing compared to the Long Beach Aquarium. Lots of cute shops in town to check out also.