redondo, manhattan or hermosa beach

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi- i need help choosing where to rent a house for one week this summer. I wonder if anyone could help? We are 2 adults , one senior and 2 upper teens. the homes in redondo are less money and although they look very nice I feel that the area may not be as upscale, vacationy and lively as hermosa and manhattan beaches? one home is only one block from beach in southern redondo , but i wonder if the strand over there is similiar to the strand up ion the other towns? I know my teens want activity as do we, not just quiet, thanks-bonnie
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 01:30 PM
lvk

A block from the beach in South Redondo is still "upscale", but might not have the amount of activity within walking distance that your teens would like. The other disadvantage of South Redondo is the time it takes to get from there to a major freeway. If you are planning to visit other areas of L.A., this would also be a consideration.

Are your choices in Manhattan and Hermosa also a few blocks from the beach? If so, those would be better choices. Hermosa is more of a funky beach town, while Manhattan would be the most upscale of the three.

Manhattan has really cute shops and restaurants in its downtown/pier area. (www.downtownmanhattanbeach.com)

Hermosa has good restaurants, but the shopping is mostly beach & surfwear, with a few funky boutiques thrown into the mix.

Be aware, however, that after dark, the Pier Ave. area of Hermosa becomes crowded with 20 to 30-somethings hitting the many bars that line Pier and Hermosa Ave.

Manhattan has the added advantage of having easier access to the 405 freeway.

Good luck! Once you get it narrowed down to a few that houses that you like, I'll be happy to answer any questions about the specific areas. I know how hard it can be to choose by just looking at a map and website.

Old Apr 15th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

lvk-thanks for the advice
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 09:46 AM

It really depends on where in each city the houses are located. Redondo's strand extends from the Redondo pier all the way down thru Torrance, and kids can bike, rollerblade, go to the beach there. The pier is a bit rundown, but has an old fashioned "fun center" with a tilt-a-whirl and some arcade games. Also, it has some boat rides & jet skis for rent. But Hermose/Manhattan are definitely more upscale. For some more nearby activities, see this thread: http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34785687. If you have more specific question, I'm also willing to help.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 09:58 AM

I used to live in Manhattan Beach and I would choose it above the others, as long as you can walk to the beach.

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 01:24 PM

I live in Manhattan and think it is a great place for a family vacation, and hopefully you are close to the water in your rental choice. We love hanging around the pier, and going to the local restaurants in the downtown area.

However, the So. Redondo area is good too. My nephew rents a MIL house in the back of a regular house, two blocks from the ocean, and the location is great for taking walks on the beach or bike riding. Not much activity there otherwise, unless you are close to the Village, and he is not.

Manhattan is more upscale, but couldn't be more casual in everyday living. The other plus is close to Freeways.

Feel free to ask any questions.