Where should I take my Mom for her 60th?

Old Mar 24th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where should I take my Mom for her 60th?

My mom and I go on vacation every year. In the past we had always gone to the Caribbean or Mexico. Recently we've decided to see more of the world and have gone on fabulous vacations to Italy, Spain and Portugal.

She is turning 60 in September and I want to treat her to a nice getaway. I would love suggestions on where to go that time of year. I am looking at about 2 weeks travel time. I was thinking the Mediterranean or Egypt. I want it to be memorable - a thank you for all those fun years in the sun.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 11:55 AM

Oh Jacey! How fabulous! How blessed your Mom is to have you. I am sorry I have no great suggestions. I took my Mom to Canyon Ranch for 4 nights and it was a wonderful treat - she had always wanted to go. I hope to have the opportunity to take her to Paris someday.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 12:38 PM

I like the Mediterranean cruise option myself. Princess, for example, has a nice assortment that gives you tastes of Italy, Turkey, the Greek Isles and Egypt....and on and on.

Another combo I've been considering is Egypt and the Holy Land.

Both options would be doable within a 2-wk timeframe.

I like to travel with my mom as well. She'll be 74 this summer....we're going for a 2-weeker to France in Sept!
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 02:28 PM

i took celebrity on the med cruise a couple years ago it was amazing. venice rome st paul de vance greece etc. ended up in barcelona. the boat was infinity i think, very comfortable very civilized, food was great, service was impeccable. i hear the northern euro england to scandinavia is also fantastic.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 06:23 AM

You should check out the CheapOair combo deals (hotel and flight) http://www.cheapoair.com/travel/prom...vel-combos.asp . They have a great deal to Athens right now.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 05:46 AM

How about a Greece/Turkey combo?
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 07:19 AM

Depends on the time of year you are planning to travel. My daughter took me on a Baltic cruise for my 60th. It was truly MEMORABLE with 2 days in St Petersberg.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 08:33 AM

For me, it doesn't get any better than Paris - that's where I took myself for my 60th! (My birthday is in September as well).
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 11:08 AM

Ireland is such a beautiful place , the crowds will be smaller, and the weather better in September. Your mom is lucky to have such a thoughtful daughter!
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 03:22 PM

Egypt with a Nile or Lake Nasser cruise would be really nice. You could split the time seeing the sights along the Nile and then at the Red Sea if you are into the beach scene.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 08:02 PM

Last year when I was in Zambia, there was a family who brought their Mom on safari for her 60th birthday. It was a surprise. They told her what to pack and when they would leave. She was having a great time. We met her as she was getting on an elephant for a morning ride. I would love if my daughter would take me back to Africa.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 08:50 AM

Marbella, its beautiful,warm, fun and near. Stay in Hotel Fuerte at the beach. Shop in the Monday market nearby or in El Corte Ingles in Puerto Banus. Travel to Benahavis and eat in Los Abanicos.Walk the Golden Mile everyday.Relax on the beautiful beach (beds supplied by the hotel).Stroll around Orange Square to La Comedia and get a window seat.Eat tapas in La Pesquera.Eat calamare in Venenciana Bar.Oh I so love Marbella,it is great for a girlie hol,beach, bags,shoes and much more.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 12:20 PM

If you plan to visit Egypt in September (or another country with a signicant Muslim population like Turkey), you should keep the dates of Ramadan in mind (this year it runs from the 21st of August to 19 September). It's not a reason not to visit, but you might find, for example, that just after the end of Ramadan, resorts, flights and trains could book up as people take holidays. Also, if you are visiting during this period, please keep in mind that many people will be fasting (no food or water) from sunrise to sunset - some may be tired, or even a little cranky. In busy cities, there can be traffic jams - or a shortage of taxi drivers - as people head home close to sunset to be with their families to break the fact. After sunset, towns can come alive as people eat and drink - almost a festive atmosphere.
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 10:19 AM

I've just been to Tunisia and really liked it, it's North Africa but much less of a culture-shock than Egypt (ie more "westernised"). If you know Andalucia then you'll see connections. There are also amazing Roman sites.
Not sure where you've visited in Spain and Italy but you can fly from Tunis to Rome or Tunis to Barcelona if you want to visit more than one country. Tunis to Paris, Marseille, Lyon, Nice too (my husband's done connections through all the above!)
With regard to Ramadan, Tunisia is not adopting daylight saving/summer time this year so that sunset is not too late. They will be on same time as the UK + Portugal for the summer. Tunisia is a Muslim country but Islam is not the state religion and it is a more secular society than some; Sunday is the day of rest for example (not Saturday).It is also very geared up to tourism esp. on the coast and French colonial heritage marked in Tunis.