Trip Ideas for Family of Adventure Junkies

Old Mar 29th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip Ideas for Family of Adventure Junkies

My husband and I are looking for the ideal trip to take along with our two VERY active daughters, ages 10 and 13. Our favorite trip so far was two weeks in Hawaii snorkeling, zip lining, hiking, swimming, jet skiing and parasailing. We also loved our ten days of Hiking in Yellowstone. We want to go somewhere we can all stay active, but it doesn't have to be a beach locale. We are not interested in Mexico.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 04:55 AM

Go to the Moab, UT area. Check out Arches and Canyonlands. While there, hike in the parks, go canyoneering, take a raft ride, Or go on a raft trip down the Colorado river from Lees Ferry. Or do the hike down the Grand Canyon.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 05:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about New Zealand? Several more extreme activities, like bungee jumping, originated there, and there's lots of lovely countryside for hiking.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Lots of great ideas. Any suggestions for Utah as far as where to stay? Looking for nice 4 or 5 star hotel/lodge/ranch.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 04:04 AM

We usually do random travel in Utah, so don't do 4 or 5 star, but there are plenty of nice places in the Moab area. Post a query under Utah, with Moab lodging and I'm sure you will get some good ideas. If you check the www.nps.gov site then click on Utah then Arches or Canyonlands you will be directed to lodging in the area also. You might also want to check the outfitters in the area for canyoneering or rafting or kayaking etc. There are several based in Moab.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 04:21 AM

Also post in the United States forum.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 04:55 AM

Check out Moon San Villa at the Blue Lagoon in Port Antonio, Jamaica. www.moonsanvilla.comb Port Antonio is the secret part of Jamaica.

Greg
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 05:19 AM

Places that would be great for people who like adventure but also want to sleep at four or five star accomodations include:

Banff or Lake Louise, in Alberta Canada (I hope I'm getting the Province right). There is a lot of great hiking in the area including the Athabasca glacier. We went to a ghost town there, but it's been a few years and I can't remember the name. There are also hot springs.

Jackson Hole, Wyoming has both great lodging and great hiking and outdoor activity in the area. I'm sure horseback riding would be a fun activity at either location (and in Utah).

I'm a mountains and ocean person. I'm less attracted to deserts in Utah.

If you choose Utah, don't go in the hottest part of the year. It also has snow, so it's a good spring/fall choice.

If you choose Jackson Hole or Banff/Lake Louise you want to go in the summer (July, August, early September) when you will get the best (sunniest) weather.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 05:33 AM

We just returned from a March trip to Southern Patagonia (El Calafate) with our two girls, ages 11 and 13. We hiked and went glacier trekking. There were many things to do and beautiful landscapes. We are also heading to Moab this summer.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 06:14 AM

Costa Rica is a great place for activities. Zip lines, hiking, snorkeling, rafting. Glacier National Park in Montana- hiking, white water rafting.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 07:44 AM

We also travel with active girls 12 & 14 here are a few things they LOVED...
Alaska- Alaska Wildlands Adventures we did a 7 day trip that included hiking and rafting and staying off the grid in the Kenai Backcountry Lodge and a stay in the heart of Denali at the Kantishna Road House. They did not enjoy a coastal Alaskan cruise on a mass market ship-too many kids just wanted to play video games.
Costa Rica- Another excellent adventure. My girls liked rafting, hiking and surfing on an Adventures By
Disney trip. But really loved a trip with Costa RicaExpeditions that included a stay at Tortuga Lodge in Tortegeuro. We flew in and went on a "jungle cruise" in the national park and kayaking and a hike to see the sea turtles nest.
Every summer we spend near Acadia National Park in Maine and have not run out of adventures yet!
Good luck and happy and safe travels!
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 08:05 AM

Alberta and BC offer great white water rafting excursions from just a few hours to a few days. My husband and I have done several such trips and loved it! Yes, Lake Louise and Banff are in Alberta. Many of us Albertans prefer Jasper but they are all incredibly beautiful.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 09:28 AM

I didn't suggest Jasper, Yoho or Glacier (Canada) because I know Banff and Lake Louise have outstanding accomodations. We tend to go tent camping and I love the whole area but learned quickly to bring the largest tarp I could buy to string over our campsite.
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

There are all great suggestions!! Sounds like we are on the right track. Has anyone every stayed at Buffalo Mtn Lodge or Caribou Lodge in Banff area?
Also on Costa Rica trip, where did you stay? What were the accommodations like and how long was your flight (from where in US to where?)
Thanks for all the input!
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 03:25 PM

Its a 3 hour flight to Costa from San Antonio if that helps any. Theres lots of great resorts in Costa Rica too.
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 12:11 PM

we are off to Belize this summer with our two 13 year old boys. Staying here:

http://www.cavesbranch.com/index.html

for cave tubing, Maya ruins, hiking and adventure, then off to the cayes:

http://ambergriscaye.com/

and

http://www.stanncreek.com/attract_swc.html

for diving, snorkeling, beach time, para sailing, and you name it. Ambergris looks busy, with lots to do, and Southwater Caye looks isolated with almost nothing - desert island like. A great combination.

We can't wait!! Belize can be expensive, but we have found moderately priced places, and we are going in the off season, when stuff is cheaper.