Search

Med Cruises

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Med Cruises

Hi - for a 50 something couple, do you recommend a Med cruise - first time Europe. I'm of the opinion that if you have never seen Europe, like Italy, Spain, France, London etc. since there is so much to see, a cruise won't really benefit because shore stays are so short...is that true?

Rome is a big place, Greece is worth staying longer too..what would other first timers having done the Med cruise before say??? Still worth it?
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 01:24 PM

Our first trip to Europe was ENGLAND-land pkg...

Our second trip was Germany,Austria and Italy..land pkg...

THEN we did a MED CRUISE- Lisbon to Venice..and saw SO MUCH more , to the point our appetite was whetted and we were able to go back later and do LAND pkgs where we loved the various cities from the cruise..

I call a Med Cruise an Appetizer...Try little parts once and then go back for the whole enchilada!
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 01:29 PM

Generally shore time is about 10-12 hrs. You can do a pretty good hunk in that time. We did the Med. in 2002 and though I would have liked a week in Rome there were no regrets. And this way you can see key highlights of several places in a short time span. I would say yes!
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 01:32 PM

With out question. A cruise in the Med is the best possible way to gain an introduction to countries and cities you may want to explore further. I think it is an excellent way to see a lot within a short period of time. In my opinion, an Eastern Mediterranean itinerary is the best as Greece and Turkey are so rich in history and things to experience. A great itinerary being offered this year in lieu of the Eastern Med is departing Venice, Italy doing Croatia, Greece, Italy, (sometimes France) and then Spain. You would be amazed at how much you can see in a day in a port.

My wife and I are doing this itinerary on the Millennium this summer and are greatly anticipating it. (I have cruised the Mediterranean a good number of times and love it) I think with the dollar so weak against the euro, that using a cruise to access this area makes even more sense. I hope that helps.

Tom Ogg
http://www.CruiseReviews.com
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 02:44 PM

I have to agree with the above posters. If you think that you are going to see all of Venice or Rome or Barcelona while in port you will be disapponted. But - if you simply enjoy what you get to see with the expectation that you will return again, it can be a very good way to see alot of places in a short time. We are going on our second Med cruise in October after 3 land based Med trips since the first cruise approximately 4 years ago. Just don't go with the idea that you have to see it all in the 8 - 12 hours the ship is in port or you will end up exhaused and miserable.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 06:32 PM

We did a Med cruise three years ago and it was our first trip to Europe. Took our daughter and we loved it. You can always spend more time in places but then you'll just have more to look forward to.

In fact, we are doing it again this May.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 09:42 PM

I think a Med cruise is great for an overview of Europe. If it was my first trip and suspected I might not get back again for awhile, I'd try and tie it in with a land trip as well by staying a few nights pre and post cruise. You can do this on your own without booking through the cruiseline.

Many of the cruises begin or end in Rome, Venice and Barcelona. By all means count on staying a few days before and after your cruise. This way you'll get the best of all worlds and be rested up before boarding. There is nothing worse than beginning a cruise with jet lag the first couple of days.

The Med cruises are very port intensive so you'll be in a different city most every day. I hope you enjoy which ever itinerary you select (do a 14 day if possible or two back to back 7 day cruises if time and $$ allows).