Help with La Romana cruise excursion?

Jan 22nd, 2004, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Help with La Romana cruise excursion?

This is a new stop for Celebrity & they offer very little. Does anyone know who I can contact to take us snorkeling? Or if Casa de Campo allows people to pay for 1 day. Thanks
Jan 22nd, 2004, 05:34 PM

Hi..if they are offering KAndella go for it..it is a muscical review in Altos De Chavon. Check out the site or Casa de Campo...
Jan 23rd, 2004, 10:01 AM

Have you checked out the shore excursions on Celebrity lately? They do offer a catamaran sail and snorkel. There is also a beach break offered. Check out www. cruisecritic.com
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

I did see that Celebrity had excursions, but I usually try to arrange things on my own. At this point I am considering taking a taxi to Altos de Chavon & looking around for a few hours, then returning to the boat.
Jan 25th, 2004, 01:16 PM

Sparks, I usually do excursions on my own as well, but from what I have been reading about this stop, very few of the locals speak English. One group was on a ship excursion and still got back an hour late. It might be a bit risky going off on your own unless you are sure that your driver will get you back on time.
Feb 1st, 2004, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

ok, we will either visit Altos de Chavon or take a Celebrity excursion. Now, those of you that have gone, fill us in on what you did!
Feb 1st, 2004, 03:18 PM

I just returned from the Constellation last night in which we stopped here. We didn't get in to port till 1 p.m. There is some sort of fort to visit with breathtaking views for the day time. there is also transportation with the ship, a free shuttle. But the best and the very best is the show Kandella. It is in the p.m. however, and you will more than likely miss your scheduled dinner. If you have early seating it may work out, but I doubt it so you can arrange to eat in the "alternative dining". You will still get a nice dinner that p.m. the show begins at 9p.m but it is not to be missed.The last bus to take you there is at 8:15 p.m. It is just wonderful. Parrot Mom had told me in another post about it and it is just fabulous. Bring a pillow for it is in an open theater with cement seats. They rent cushions for a dollar. Someone said if you were with "celebrity" they were free. (??) Not sure about that we brought our own. There is also a Marina they take you to if you want to walk around. There is shopping but it is a real tourist trap in my opinion. Very upscale and expensive. Nice to walk around. This is an area they are apparantly trying to build up as a destination to travel. It is a pretty area.
Feb 7th, 2004, 09:19 AM

Have just returned... there are free cushions for Kandella and it is well worth the $$.. The price is $35.00 and our tour charged $45.00 which included transportation.. Kandella was developed within the last two years for the cruisers and it's absolutely wonderful...mostly in spanish, but you don't have to understand a word... There is everything from Las Vegas type dancing, fireworks, fire eaters, huge puppets and fireworks... The setting of the ampitheatre is breathtaking and it's quite steep and there are guides to help you down and up..lol The taxi drivers in the D.R. are "bandits" and charge outrageous prices.. Noticed that there were at Sunscape Casa del Mar several excursions from cruise ships..they were brought in for the beach/pool and probably lunch...The beach is gorgeous, white sand, lots of chairs and shade, turquoise warm water.. This is one time I would NOT trying to rent a car. A tour of Altos de Chavon and La Romana would be worthwhile because they take you to Jumbys to buy Dominican Coffee...in pesos it came to 53 pesos which is approx. $1.00 per pound. (you are allowed 10 pounds..we buy beans).there is also available 151 proof Barcelo Rum and vanilla....but make sure it's PURO..not extract. I do not often recommend excursions as they are usualy overpriced...For more info (returned last night to a snow storm in Boston..yech) [email protected]
Feb 7th, 2004, 03:21 PM

I am glad you also have seen it as you had told me about it on another post originally. Wasn't it just wonderful. We so enjoyed this show. The ships charge is $31.00 for the show including transportation.
Feb 8th, 2004, 03:53 AM

At one of our past visits to Altos de Chavon we discovered the Bartlys D.R. handicraft shop right opposite the entrance to the ampitheatre.. I ran off two buy two handcrafted dresses so fast our guide/driver was laughing, he said only his mother could shop that fast. So, if you'd like something really special pop in.. They sell appliqued items which help support the women.

Search this Thread