Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Grand Caymen stop on cruise - ship excursion or independent

Dec 14th, 2006, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

Have read info here and on cruise critic. Am undecided whether to do a ship excursion for this 10 hour stop or go out on our own. Obvious advantage of using shore-based operator to do beach or sting rays is fewer crowds, etc. On the other hand, I have heard horror stories about lines and wait for tenders and that those on ship-arranged tours get priority for tenders. (Celebrity Century over February vacation week). Thanks.
Dec 14th, 2006, 04:07 AM

Our first cruise to Caymans hubby and I explored on our own, did some shopping,and walked to 7 mile beach (was a long walk, should have taken a cab) Had a great time. 2nd Cruise, we did a shore excursion (stingray swim and turtle farm)Hated the overcrowded shore excurion, wished we'd gone on our own again.
Dec 14th, 2006, 05:02 AM

It depends on how many ships are in port that day. We had to tender I believe the docks couldn't accomdate many ships. Then the docks cannot accomodate the tenders either. It was a long process getting off the ship, and those who had excursions with the ship were let off first. They gave you a number. It was tiresome. We went on our own to 7 mile beach and did some shopping. Either way as I recall getting off the ship was not pleasant. I hope there are not many other ships in port that day. The sting ray experience is supppose to be wonderful and is always highly recommended.
Dec 14th, 2006, 06:27 AM

Either Captain Brian or Captain Marvin does a good excursion and can be booked online now. You do the stingrays and then snorkel at a nice spot. The ship's excursions had them packed like sardines. It was no problem getting to their office- after that they transfer you to the small boats.
Dec 16th, 2006, 09:41 AM

I would advise to do it on your own. GC is small and it would be quite easy to do a little research B4 you go, scope out the highlights you want to see, then either rent a car or get a private driver when you get off and just go baby!!
Dec 25th, 2006, 12:14 PM

My family took son and his friends on a graduation cruise. Booked catamaran with Capt. Brian online for swim with stingrays and snorkel. Catamaran could hold 50 and there were about 18 aboard including us. It was great. Swim with stingrays was very crowded buy we got personal attention from Brian and staff. It was the highlight of trip for all of us, crowds or none. Petting the stingrays was awesome, you forget about crowds, they are such marvelous creatures. Don't miss this.
Dec 27th, 2006, 09:09 PM

Absolutely book your own. The ships tours are overcrowded, overpriced, and do not leave the locals with any money. We used Captain Marvins. His tour was excellent.
Dec 28th, 2006, 11:07 AM

Booking on your own is definitely the way to go here (will save you about 30%).

We went out with Capt. Brian and had a fine time, but I have subsequently heard complaints about him whereas Capt. Marvin always gets good reviews. You might also check out Nativeway which runs an all-catamaran fleet. I've heard good things about them as well.

Jan 1st, 2007, 04:10 PM

I agree with several of the others responders--on your own. You can rent a car or jeep for about $60.00 for the day and drivr the entire island. Book with the locals as suggested above, or drive to Rum Point. There you can easily and snorkel off the shore, eat, buy souveniers and book excursions. I stayed on the island for 8 days and Rum Point was the best!!! Hammocks and lounges for all free of charge!
Jan 3rd, 2007, 07:06 PM

Swimming with the stingrays is the best excurson we've ever done. But if you won't have piece of mind on your own, go with the ship. A few bucks more but compared to the bundle you're spending on the cruise, you won't even notice. And you won't be checking the time, etc.
Jan 3rd, 2007, 07:07 PM

Make that "PEACE of mind." Many pardons.