Where is the best dolphin swim program?

Old Aug 1st, 2009, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where is the best dolphin swim program?

Always wanted to do this -- My husband and I would like to plan a swim with the dolphins experience to celebrate my 50th b'day. -- We're looking at Mexico, the Keys, the Bahamas -- Something not too commercial (marina), as small a group as possible, interaction and swimming (life vests), not a meditative or week long experience -- something kind of "in the middle" of those two extremes. Any suggestions?
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 05:31 AM

The Dolphin Research Center in the Florida Keys.
http://www.dolphins.org/

My sister & I did a girls weekend and had a blast! Great for any age group. You swim as a group, they give training before the swim, they have a photographer taking pics or you can give them your camera and they will take pics for you. Swim approx 1/2 hour. Lots of fun! A little pricey but well worth the memory.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 06:12 PM

I did it on the big island....and worth every penny!!! Was it long enuff...NO!!!! But at least I got my arms around one!!!
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 11:38 PM

You could get more than you bargain for -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8170130.stm
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 01:54 PM

Hi there. I think that the Mexican Riviera Maya is the greatest place to do swim with dolphins, and much more if you are looking for an exclusive and personalized program. I just took a week ago a swimming with dolphins program called The One, at Delphinus Riviera Maya, and I was able to be alone for one hour with a dolphin, just for me. It was awesome. Even there is a program in Cancun called Trainer for a Day that is very interesting.
I leave this link about The One: http://www.delphinusworld.com/swim-w...in-the-one.php
Good luck and I hope this post was helpful for you.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 08:27 AM

I don't like captive dolphins being made to interact with tourists. By all means if there are wild dolphins who choose to interact, that's fine.

Dolphins should not be in captivity, unless they were injured and unable to be returned to the sea. In that case, they shouldn't be made to perform. I abhor the Orca and dolphin shows put on as tourist attractions round the world.

Please look for a wild dolphin experience as vastly preferable. At least you know that the animals choose to spend time with you.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 05:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I also do not support swimming with captive dolphins. You might want to do a bit more research on the practice before you commit yourself to this activity (typically the dolphins living like that don't live long). I agree with going on an boat expedition where you can get close and see them in the wild and their natural habitat.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 01:50 AM

Totally agree Suze. We were in the Azores last year and went out on a rib whale watching. The boat was surrounded by dolphins and a couple of us got into the water. The dolphins were curious and playful and we had a fantastic 10 minutes before they got bored and moved on.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 02:07 AM

Can't say it appeals to me either, except perhaps with those which have either been orphaned or stuffed up by human contact and which would perish in the wild, and even then I'd have my doubts. Same with birds.