Swimming w/dolphins in Cancun

Dec 19th, 2002, 05:37 AM
Susan

Swimming w/dolphins in Cancun

There are several places that have swimming with the dophins - Isla Mujeres, XCaret, Xel-Ha, and I think some place directly in Cancun. I'm looking for feedback from anyone who has done this. Pros, cons about the location. Thanks!

Dec 19th, 2002, 06:19 AM
Nancy

I would ask you to please reconsider the dolphin swim. They are incredibly cruel. I did it once and was sorry ever since. No matter how clean or nice it looks, more than half of the dolphins die within 60 to 90 days of capture.
In order to make an informed decision, please visit:

http://dolphinproject.org/

http://www.hsus.org/ace/11727

(The second site is the Humane Society of the United States' position on SWTD programs.)

Dec 19th, 2002, 07:46 AM
Jamie

I swam with the dolphins a few weeks ago at Dolphin Discovery in Puerto Adventuras. It is about 10 minutes from Playa Del Carmen.
Everyone recommended Dolphin Discovery over the other places to me. They keep the groups real small. I only had 6 people in my group by keeping the groups small you have more time with the dolphins. It was a great experience! You do a footpush, Dorsal tow, kiss, you hold a bar that the dolphin jumps over and free play time with the dolphins. It goes by really quick so enjoy it. They also took great pictures that you have the option of buying and they also do a video. I opted for the pics., I would have loved to get the video it was done really well, but it was $50. I would definately recommend this place!

Dec 19th, 2002, 08:59 AM
Dolphin

Jamie, Too bad the dolphins did not have as much fun as you did.

Here are the facts:

Over half the dolphins captured for these parks that survive their violent capture will die within 90 days.
The average lifespan of a dolphin in the wild is 45 years; yet half of all captured dolphins die within their first two years of captivity.
Every seven years, half of ALL dolphins, either captured or born in these parks die from capture shock, pneumonia, intestinal disease, ulcers, chlorine poisoning and other stress related illnesses.Some of the saddest ones even commit suicide. Yes, dolphins can and do commit suicide.They hold their breath until they sufficate. They do this because they can no longer stand the stress of life in captivity, doing stupid tricks, for food, just to entertain humans. YES, they are trained by food depravation. They learn fast that if they don't perform these 'tricks', which they would NEVER do in the wild, they will not get fed. They are 100% dependent on the 'trainers'. Even with so many dolphins dying, to the captive dolphin industry, these facts are accepted as routine operating expenses. When they die, they just get replaced.
SeaWorld has a captive breeding program that does fairly well, HOWEVER, the truth is that many species have NEVER produced surviving offspring, while the calves of others suffer high mortality rates. Therefore, many of the marine mammals on public display in the world still come from the wild.
Have you even seen a dolphin AFTER the show? Some will bang their heads against their pens. Some will swim in repetitive circles with eyes closed. Some will simply float at the surface. These are signs of boredom and depression. For a marine mammal, especially one as perpetually aware and intelligent, the montomous confined life in captivity is a mere shadow of what life is like in the wild. For a marine mammal, these parks are prisons. At first look, a whale or dolphin show may seem exciting, even for the animals. But when you look past the dolphin show to the high mortality rates and stress-related causes of death in captivity, the effects of captivity suggest a far harsher reality.

Richard O'Berry, the founder of The Dolphin Project (www.dolphinproject.org) was the original trainer of 'Flipper'. He knows everything about dolphins lives in captivity. He quit that business and dedicated the past 30 years of his life trying to educate the public on the harsh truth of these parks and releasing dolphins. WHY? Because his favorite 'Flipper' a female named Cathy, died of stress in his arms.

Do you still want to swim with the dolphins just to give this horrid industry more money to continue killing them?

Dec 19th, 2002, 09:40 AM
Nancy

Thanks "Dolphin" for more info.
Unfortunately, I HAVE seen the dolphins after the show. (I was SCUBA diving in Mexico in a park where they do this.)
It made me cry.
They were huddled in a group as far away as they could get and appeared very depressed. The music was overwhelmingly loud even 20 feet below the surface - I can only imagine how it feels to an animal with such delicate sonar.
Now some people are afraid to snorkel at this park because of all the barracudas that come around now that they have to use the fish to get the dolphins to perform.
What a disgusting way to make yourself wealthy - from the torture and death of innocent (intelligent) animals.

Dec 19th, 2002, 10:23 AM
Dolphin

Nancy,

AMEN!

Dec 19th, 2002, 01:35 PM
cd

Nancy
Is this park, Chankanaab?

Dec 19th, 2002, 02:59 PM
Nancy

Yes, CD, it was Chankanaab.

Dec 20th, 2002, 02:52 AM
xxx

I think an interesting point is made here on these thoughts. I have always enjoyed places like Sea World. My only contrary thought pertaining to any of this is how do you explain the Zoo? Aren't Zoo's just as guilty of housing animals in captivity? If it is cruel to one species, then isn't it just as cruel to any others, whether it be loins, tigers, monkeys etc.etc. When you really think about it aren't they also depressed living in cages out of there natural enviroment?

Dec 20th, 2002, 04:51 AM
Dolphin

Yes, in a way Zoo's are just as bad, BUT most Zoo animals these days are being born there. They are not ripped from their family and put in pens that are harmful to them, and they are not forced to perform tricks for food.

Jan 1st, 2003, 11:01 PM
afdip

HOW MANY TIMES DOES THIS HAVE TO BE SAID BEFORE PEOPLE LISTEN? Sorry, I'm yelling...Please people...please..stop this insane desire to "be one with nature" and see the long term consequences.

Jan 2nd, 2003, 09:36 AM
Joolee

Wow--am really glad I read this stuff as had NO IDEA what the real story was. Will definitely NOT pay out big $$$ to swim w/ the dolphins thereby promoting this cruel practice. Will also tell my other vacationing friends and co-workers about this!

Jan 2nd, 2003, 10:07 AM
Chris

I was so looking forward to being able to get close to the dolphins on my upcoming trip to Cancun. I guess I never considered that the dolphins were held in captivy, something I do not feel is right for any animals. I hope that as word gets out, people will stop using animals for their own entertainment at the animals' expense. I think it's great that you're passing the word around. It definitely made me reconsider the swim. Thanks.

Jan 8th, 2003, 07:05 PM
Denise

Thanks for the information on the treatment of the dolphins. My husband and I are going to Cancun in a couple of weeks and were interested in checking this out. Not any more. Please continue to spread the word and while I am down there, I will visit the sights for swim with the dolphins and try to spend a couple of hours educating people and attempt toconvince them to spend the day at the beach instead!

Jan 9th, 2003, 05:17 AM
Nancy

THANK YOU Denise!
You'd be surprised (and dismayed)at how many people decide to do it anyway despite being given the facts, but every little bit helps

Jan 9th, 2003, 02:41 PM
think about it

Thank you all (against this whole idea) and for your intelligent presentation of the facts. Yes this is posted again and again... but it is obviously a subject that needs further education to boycott thereby stop the practice.

And, yes, personally I find zoos a strange concept but that is another issue.

Jan 11th, 2003, 08:22 PM
Denise

Since reading this a few days ago, I have told to several people who have all been disgusted by what goes on with the dolphin swims. I will be contacting PETA to see if they are aware and can intervene. Feel free to follow suit to contact PETA and maybe together we can do our part and try to stop this barberic treatment of such a beautiful and intelligent animal for profits!

Jul 26th, 2003, 09:25 PM

TTT
Jul 28th, 2003, 06:56 AM

News update...
Last week, Parque Nizuc in Cancun took in 28 new dolphins that were captured in the Solomon Islands, 8000 miles away. There are unconfirmed reports that at least two of them died shortly after the 10 hour flight. It's likely more will die in the following days. Regardless of the fate of the remaining captured dolphins, please ask yourself if you want to see dolphins performing circus tricks for your enjoyment when you consider the rest of their lives will be miserable.
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:54 AM

I'm going to Cancun this week and after reading about this, I don't think I will swim with them as I have been looking forward to doing my entire life.
Thank you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO