Vaccine passport apps for international travel

Old Dec 10th, 2020, 11:33 AM
dcd
Original Poster

Received 58 Likes on 4 Posts
Vaccine passport apps for international travel

Today's PSA: "What is a vaccine passport?Also called health passports, vaccine passports are mainly intended for international travel. They have so far taken form as free mobile apps where travelers upload their verified coronavirus test results and, eventually, proof of a vaccination. Two main options for a vaccine passport exist so far, with one already in operation in the United States, and the other in its final phase of development this month.

CommonPass, a health pass created by the nonprofit Commons Project, has been in trial use internationally since October on United and Cathay Pacific flights between New York, London, Singapore and Hong Kong. The program operates through Appleís Health app on iOS and CommonHealth for Android, and it has already been connected to 230 U.S. health systems, according to its creators. It functions as a scannable QR code that holds a passengerís test data or vaccine documentation as well as travel plans. The program, which is only in trials through participating airlines, is not yet publicly available for download.

Another app in development by the International Air Transport Association, the IATA Travel Pass is expected to launch in early 2021. The mobile pass will be available for Apple users to start and will be rolled out to Android users slightly later, according to IATA. In addition to holding a passengerís testing, vaccine and health-waiver documentation, the IATA app will provide travelers with a registry of health requirements and testing/vaccination centers.

ďThe main priority is to get people traveling again safely,Ē IATA said in a statement. ďIn the immediate term that means establishing confidence in governments that systematic pre-departure COVID-19 testing can work as a replacement for quarantine requirements. And that will eventually develop into a vaccine program.Ē
https://www.washingtonpost.com/trave...rc=nl_bytheway
Old Dec 10th, 2020, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bookmarking
Old Dec 10th, 2020, 12:00 PM

There is already a backlash about this in Ontario Canada on grounds of discrimination.

So the Ontario government appears to be walking back on this.

Hopefully xcountry can shed more light on this
Old Dec 10th, 2020, 12:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I think itís cute you are thinking about all this.

Iím not this far ahead of Covid logistically yet.

I fantasize about travel, but not in any concrete kind of way.
Old Dec 10th, 2020, 01:34 PM
dcd
Original Poster

Received 58 Likes on 4 Posts
Gruezi, I am not fantasizing about travel just yet, either.

But I like forward thinking people who are doing their darndest to figger out how best to make it safe for us to travel internationally again.

Percy, thatís interesting, but not sure I understand how it discriminates unless these apps discriminate against those who havenít received a vaccine or a negative Covid test.

If so, this might be a case of good discrimination. The travel industry is obviously hurting big-time, and many people ainít getting back on a plane or a cruise ship until thereís some way to verify all the passengers have gotten their ducks in a row consistent with an airlineís or cruiselineís Covid rules and regs.

Old Dec 10th, 2020, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by dcd View Post

But I like forward thinking people who are doing their darndest to figger out how best to make it safe for us to travel internationally .
Agreed. Iíll be curious to hear how this goes.
Old Dec 10th, 2020, 02:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by patandhank View Post
Agreed. Iíll be curious to hear how this goes.
+1
Old Dec 10th, 2020, 06:44 PM

It sounds like a good idea for someday. I think it's going to take a LOT of input from medical professionals and policymakers. And a lot of statistical changes within the countries of travellers' origins before it could even start to happen.

The people who'd have to be working on such systems, especially in countries where the virus is still spreading rapidly, would likely be focused on getting that under control or saving the lives of their citizens who have caught it first, I'd think (and hope). Eventually they'll figure out how to help people who love international travel back on the road... with the reciprocal understanding they'll recoup that effort with incoming travellers. But there won't be outgoing OR incoming travellers to justify that effort until the virus is under control.
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 08:06 AM

So itís been a few months now since this thread and I thought I would check back and see if anyone has downloaded or used an app.

I read that the same company that created the Mobile Passport app has developed one. Iíve used Mobile Passport frequently on our international trips so Iím going to take a look at their new app. In the meantime as a minimum Iím going to put a copy of my vaccination card in my iPhone wallet.

No international trips planned yet but we are headed for a couple of nights to a local resort today for a change of scenery and it made me think that even for that type of travel Iíd like to have some record with me.
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 10:46 AM

I am hoping that by the time we do travel internationally this whole thing will be a NON-issue. I fully expect to have to get a yearly Covid booster just as I get yearly flu shot. As to a record: we are bing advised to take a picture of our Covid vaccine documentation and carry it on our cellphone just as we do our passports and our health insurance cards in case those are mislaid. Will this be enough "documentation?" Time will tell.
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 10:52 AM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh I got into this on another thread as I am against it. I feel it does discriminate so I am in the minority here. I won’t post the link to it here but I am sure it can be easily found. I just got tired of defending my point.
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 11:29 AM

NYS has an Excelsior Pass that digitally stores vaccination information. Itís available once you pass the two week period after the second Pfizer shot. When I got my second shot at the Javits Center, they had the QR code and I got the site on my phone. I have one more week and my information should be available. I assume that it is good for Moderna and J and J after the requisite time period passes for full protection. I already have a trip booked for December and hoping to get a trip to Europe in by September-October so Iím all for it.
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by sassy27 View Post
Oh I got into this on another thread as I am against it. I feel it does discriminate so I am in the minority here. I wonít post the link to it here but I am sure it can be easily found. I just got tired of defending my point.
i didnt see your other thread. Would you mind explaining how this discriminates once vaccines are readily available to all?
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 12:06 PM

I feel it discriminates because you have almost 8 billion people trying to get a vaccine that is not open or available to all of these people. There are going to be groups who are left out due to supply and I do not feel that is fair. It is not an equal opportunity for all 8 billion people. It isn’t just for international travel as you start there next it will limit people on living their lives domestically. Where do you go now and have to show proof you are allowed to be there? I am sure it’s not often. So to introduce this to walk into a store is something I do not want. I know someone right now who can’t get a vaccine for health reasons and I would hate for that person to be discriminated against. Yes there can be waivers but it would be naive to think it wouldn’t be used to exclude.
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 02:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the vaccine card but a nurse giving the vaccine said a program is in the works because people are forging the card. It will be an app on your phone she said. Don't laminate the card in case you need a booster. We have already been told sassy27 that we need proof to check into a hotel in Paris. I just look at it as vaccine proof you need for certain countries.
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 04:34 PM

Exactly Macross.

People who can't get vaccinated because of lack of supply are not allowed to enter. I am not picking on anyone but how would you feel if when a booster is needed you go last as you went first this time so it invalids your eligibility to enter? Often times people don't understand until it is them who gets exluded. If this was something that wasn't hard to get, I would have no issue but it isn't.