Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do I need a Hepatitus A Vaccine for travel to Prague?

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 05:30 PM
Tracy

A friend just mentioned to me that I should get a Hepatitus A vaccine for travel to Germany, France, Italy, Austria and Prague. However, I am leaving in a few days. I could get the gammaglobulin (spelling?) and the vaccine, but another friend says it is not needed. Does anyone know?

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 05:57 PM
geri

No, unless you're planning on engaging in unsafe practices of some sort.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Jay

Tracy

You are not at any greater risk for Hepatitis A in those countries than you are in the United States. The vaccine is very safe to take and will protect you within 2 weeks. The gammaglobulin shot has been in short supply and has historically been used when people were exposed to someone with Hepatitis A. It lessened the severity of the disease, it doesn't prevent it. We contract Hepatitis A from eating foods that people with the virus have handled, ie, salads or fruits. This is why it is so important for food workers to wash their hands. Just don't eat foods sold by vendors on the streets and you'll probably be safe. I would go ahead and take the Hepatitis A vaccine as it will probably afford you some protection which is better than none.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 06:37 PM
Alfie

I always love it when people seek serious medical advice on a travel board. Says a lot about their thought processes.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 07:10 PM
Bob Brown

Why would you not have hepatitis A and B for ordinary living?
A primary care physician, a good public health office or a travel clinic should have definitive answers for you.

Bear in mind that people in the USA get hepatitis too. Let's just hope that none of us becomes infected with C.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 02:35 PM
peter

geri you got it wrong-unsafe practices are more relateed to hepB. hepA is food borne and it is a good general idea for anybody who travels to get it as one can come into contact with this virus anywhere in the world even the usa. its just a good general precaution as hepA can be a nasty disease. the vaccine is readily avaible and why not get what can prevent a very unwanted disease that can be acquired anywhere??

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 02:45 PM
Leslie

You don't need to be vaccinated for any of the countries/cities that you are visiting.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 02:51 PM
Gretchen

You don't "need" it but HepA isn't a bad idea for just living in the US now. Go ahead and start it and get the followups--can't hurt and it might help. Geri, it is B that you need to be up close and personal with.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 04:28 PM
ios

what planet is your friend from?