Search

Traveling to Europe for Two Weeks On TIGHT budget PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traveling to Europe for Two Weeks On TIGHT budget PLEASE HELP

Hello! Im am really in need of some advice…Somebody PLEASE help

So in May I will be traveling to Europe (kind of last minute) for two weeks. My sister and I have always talked/dreamed about one day traveling together; and in February (by impulse) my sister bought a plane ticket. I had just left my job in order to “find myself”… and figure out what it is I wanted to do in life as a recent college grad… so obviously the timing for me was a little off. Since the end of March I’ve been trying to find the most cost effective way for me to go along with her during her travels without spending all of my savings...

She will be staying for a month traveling from Ireland to London to Paris and lastly Venice and Rome. I will only tag along for the latter half (2 weeks) spending time only in Paris, Venice and Rome. I have managed to find two inexpensive one way plane tickets, one from California to London and one from Dublin to California. My plan is to meet my sister in London, then from there take a bus to Paris where we will stay 7 days. From there we will spend a day and a half in Venice and five or for me 4 days in Rome then I will take a plane to Dublin so that I can fly back home…

leaving from Dublin was $63 cheaper then leaving from Rome so I opted for that option..

However in order to make my flight in Dublin I would have to leave Rome half a day earlier at 4:00 pm using Ryanair then I will have to spend the night in the airport in order to make my 10am flight. My sister thinks I am doing too much to save $63 but with my budget I feel like that $63 can help out a lot towards other things. The other alternative would be for me to purchase a one way ticket from Rome back to California which would leave out at 11:15am the day she is leaving for (you may have guessed) $63 more

I’ve set a budget of $1700 even though as expenses continue to come up it seems almost undoable.

My projected total so far for travel between all destinations including leaving and coming back home is $1054. Then for hotel and hostel accommodations I will be spending $445.78.(grand total about $1500) I have not yet factored in transportation once I am in my destinations and the cost of food and attractions…

I don’t completely mind going over my budget but I would love to be as close to it as possible. SOOO my question is, what do you all think? If you were me would that half a day more in Rome for $63 (with my budget) really be that important after already spending 4 days in Rome? It doesn’t bother me much, but I may be being unrealistic. I don’t want to short change myself or my experience but because of my current lack of a job I do have to keep in mind that I don’t have all the money in the world… Someone PLEASE help.
Old Apr 16th, 2013, 10:34 PM

Have you actually bought any of the tickets, yet?

Ryanair may not have any cheap tickets left for that date. They are also extremely fussy about luggage restrictions. One carry-on really means ONE carry-on, not one plus a personal item. Any additional bags will cost extra. According to the receipt from my latest booked flight it cost 25 Euro for one bag. It's even more expensive if you have to add that bag at the last minute because it was too heavy or too large to qualify as a carry-on.

I am also unsure about what airport Ryanair uses in Rome. It may be outside Rome, which means an additional cost to get there. I think they use the ordinary airport in Dublin, at least they did when I went there in 2009.
Old Apr 17th, 2013, 09:17 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You need to re-post all of this on the Europe Forum. (See the 'Change Forum' pull down menu?)

One way tickets are usually not the cheapest option but we need more details about the flights - not here but in the new thread over on Europe . . .

Since your budget is so tight - have you considered only joining your sister for one week? That would stretch your $$/€€ farther.
Old Apr 17th, 2013, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S/he posted on the Europe board right after posting here. Double post.
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 11:32 AM

Don't buy that Dublin ticket -you don't see the big picture which a lot of tourists don't realize when it comes to try to save money. You will be spending more going back and forth from Dublin not to mention wasting a lot of time.
Buy a ticket called an open jaw where you fly into one city and out of another. Rome is amazing and you will be so honked that you had to leave early! My 28 year old daughter and I have gone to Rome quite a bit but started last year doing a yearly Roma trip to just hang out,drink wine,shop,visit cultural things,etc.
There is never enough money in life but travel is worth giving up other things to do!