Search

Travel/steamer dual voltage

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2016, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel/steamer dual voltage

I know a lot of people don't use them but I do. No matter how well I pack, there are always wrinkles. Not sure what I will find in Africa so I need a new one as mine are old and never were that good. They don't put out much steam. My Samsonite is very hard to fill with water and it always has a little left in it after I empty it out. . Any suggestions on dual voltage travel steamers. They don't weigh much so I always save room......Thanks for help. Leaving in a few days......
Old Sep 4th, 2016, 02:53 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
A suggestion - rather than a steamer, I carry a tiny mister, a small spray bottle that I think works better than the steam. Weighs nothing and takes up no space and no electricity issues. I also use it at home.

Something like this: http://tinyurl.com/z9njnhu
Old Sep 5th, 2016, 02:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buy clothes that travel better, or that look OK wrinkled.
Old Sep 5th, 2016, 07:46 AM

Do as DSK did : you hang your clothes above your bath when finished. The steam from the bath unwrinkles a lot.
Try at home before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAMyMS7fFvQ
Old Sep 5th, 2016, 09:08 AM

I've never found the hanging-in-the-shower routine particularly effective and why I now use the spray bottle.
Old Sep 5th, 2016, 12:11 PM

ok
Old Sep 5th, 2016, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

In the past I have tried the "no wrinkle" spray things and also just water but does not work for me. Not sure why but it doesn't hence I like to travel with a dual voltage small travel steamer. weighs next to nothing and are far more effective. I like to look nice when I am at good restaurants so unless I am wearing linen, I don't care for the wrinkled look. Looks like none of you use a travel steamer. Hope someone else answers my question....
Old Sep 5th, 2016, 03:28 PM

I just use warm water and smooth the wrinkles, always works for me, but I see you're committed. Carry on.
Old Dec 21st, 2023, 05:35 AM

I know I am quite late to this chat (7 years!) but I was looking for a thread re steamers so I could ask others what they thought the best steamer is for traveling around the world. We do a lot of travelling and someone advised me that a portable steamer would be handy as there's no need to find an ironing board when you get to hotels and they tuck neatly in to your suitcase. But which one to get. Travellers - advice please? I know about this one https://www.propress.com.au/steamers...othes-steamer/ but what do others think is good for traveling?
Old Dec 21st, 2023, 07:19 AM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate wrinkles and early on hotels didn't offer irons and ironing boards so I turned to using just my own hanger and hot showers or just enough for a steam (it does work but depends on how you hang it and how wrinkly the clothes are and it doesn't go directly in the shower). It has served me well since as trying to bring my own hasn't worked and neither have any of spray stuff. I also iron everything before it's packed and pack a certain way this has also worked as I don't see any portables one working for my needs. The same goes for hair appliances. They have all been a waste of money and I don't need to be packing more stuff so hope you find what you are looking for.
Old Dec 22nd, 2023, 01:22 PM

I never travel with clothes that need pressing or steaming. If you pack them tight in those nylon bags for packing, it never has been an issue. Anywhere. Anytime. For 40 years. Lots of portable ones on Amazon, but am thinking for usage at home, not travellling.