Senior Solo traveler with stamina issues

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2018, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 78, in good health, but tire easily when walking around. I'm going on a package tour to Great Britain in September that was billed as relatively moderate as far as physical requirements go. I am arranging for cart assistance at airports but worried about keeping up with the group once I'm on the ground. There is down time on this tour so I can rest. I'm thinking about getting a folding cane, just in case. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 06:46 AM

Hi bobbye7, A friend of mine has one of those cane/seats and she likes it very much. May I assume you have spoken to the tour folks about your need for rest? S/he should have made already some suggestions and modifications for you. Good luck.
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 08:41 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think the folding cane w/ seat is a good idea.

I also would check with the tour company if it's OK for you NOT to do some of the activities. If a particular day's itinerary seems too strenuous, are you able to separate from the group and do something on your own at a slower pace (using a taxi or whatever).
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 09:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Relatively moderate" could cover a wide range. Can you post a link to the tour?
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 01:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
definitely give us a link to the tour so we can give you better advice.

A folding cane is great - was on a trip to the UK with my cousin and she had a minor ankle injury -- she bought a folding cane (not the type with a seat) and has used it everywhere she has ever traveled since. A real help -- even when her ankle is fine.
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

https://gateway.gocollette.com/Passe.../TripItinerary

This is my itinerary with Collette. You have to sign in under my name. It's hard to tell how much walking is involved. However, I am taking a walking tour in York. Elsewhere, when there's a choice of coach or walking, I'll take the coach.
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 06:26 PM

Would also need the password. Isn't there a.public itinerary?
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 07:12 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
So -- it is a Collette tour. Which one -- we shouldn't have to log in to your personal account/itinerary.

At least give us the name of the tour . . . They offer a lot of UK tours
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

https://www.gocollette.com/en/tours/...ghclere-castle

Here is the public link. Hope it helps. Thanks.
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 05:48 AM

Well, that doesn't look too bad (from the physical exertion stand point, that is).

London: The day 3 sightseeing is almost certainly by coach (note that it is "view" not "visit"). Aside from that, pick a couple of places you really want to see and use buses or taxis for transport.

York: I'm a fan of Cambridge but sightseeing there is likely to involve walking, so you might opt for the fast train to York instead. You might skip the walking tour, the marquee sight is the cathedral (Minster) and you don't need the tour guide for that. DIY or use a cathedral guide.

Edinburgh: It is hilly, if they are going to make you walk to the castle take a taxi instead.

Lake District: there doesn't seem to be any walking scheduled!!!!

Cotswolds: Ditto!

For getting around London check out this site: https://tfl.gov.uk/ Your London hotel is not in a location I would choose, but it is super close to the Tower and a tube station. However, the tube can require a fair amount of walking if you need to change lines, in those cases you will be better off above ground. Do you have a smart phone? The google maps app can be very useful when it comes to public transport. Are you on your own getting to the hotel? You could use a car service, but it is easy by tube from LHR - change to the District line at Hammersmith (Janis - it is Hammersmith where it's just across the platform, right?)

Your York hotel is 0.7 miles from the Minster and there doesn't seem to be a useful bus. If the tour doesn't take you there by coach you may want a taxi, although you could stop off at the Jorvick Center on the way.

Janis is much more familiar with Edinburgh than I am, but your hotel there seems to be located right below the castle and not near anything else of interest.

The Stratford hotel looks to be well located. Consider booking a theater ticket, the theater is very close.
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! This is very helpful, although disappointing that some of the hotel locations aren't more convenient. That's the risk of a package tour, I guess, but I'm not confident enough to go it alone! I'll check with the travel agent about some of the options you suggest. I am taking the train to York but not sure how to opt out of the walking tour. I do have a smart phone which should be helpful in getting around. Are taxis very expensive? I'm on a rather tight budget.
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 07:02 AM

If the budget is tight I would use buses where possible, and the maps app is great for that (you can practice ahead of time). I can't see any reason why opting opt of a walk should be a problem. I would tell the tour leader at the beginning of the tour that you may be doing that, and then tell her ahead of each walk you will skip (preferably when she is not too busy). Ask if you need to meet back up with the group at a specific time/place, but it doesn't look like that is necessary except for dinner in Edinburgh.
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 09:38 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
but I'm not confident enough to go it alone!

Maybe after this "practice" trip with an organized group, you will have the confidence to plan the next trip on your own. That way you can go at your own pace without having to check in with anyone. Enjoy!!!