Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

lone traveller...tour like contiki or do my own thing?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im a 20 year old Australian female planning on travelling around Europe for 2 months (August and September)

im stuck on deciding whether i should do contiki or just go with the flow and do it alone??
the contiki i am looking at is 18 days so i would still have the rest of the 2 months to tavel around alone and i think contiki would be a good way to meet people as i will be by myself

would love some thoughts feedback suggestions tips or anything???
CHEERS!
Old May 10th, 2011, 06:44 PM

Have you given a good look at the Contiki tour and does it offer what you want to see. How much time on your own, how many sights are included in the price; how many meals - questions such as these. If you want some feedback on a specific tour you would have to give a link to the tour.

Staying in hostels is a great way to meet other travelers your own age and connecting with others who want someone to hang with.

Also check the thorntree site where you will find more people in your age group who can give advice on Contiki and on traveling on your own. There are positives and negatives to solo travel. If you're not used to spending lots of time alone you might want to join a tour for a short time.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/index.jspa
Old May 11th, 2011, 12:35 AM

Yes, thorntree.
Old May 11th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

great ill have a look at that thanks!

the contiki I sm looking at is the 18 day European Whirl

http://contiki.com.au/tours/126-european-whirl
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:31 AM

When I was about your age, I took my first trip to Europe for about 6 wks and did a Contiki tour (European encounter? iirc) and then got off the tour in Paris and traveled around France solo.

I had a blast on the Contiki tour, it was super fun, mainly Aussies but people from all over the world. I was very glad I chose to do both the tour and the experience of solo travel. Plus, having been on the tour for awhile I felt more comfortable traveling on my own afterwards, even though I did meet up with friends in a few places so I wasn't totally alone.
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:34 AM

Sounds like an EXCELLENT plan to me. Have a wonderful time.
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:41 AM

IMHO that tour is too much shunting around in 18 days. It looks like you'll be spending a lot of time on a bus rather than sightseeing. Don't Contiki have short tours that cover less territory and give you more time in each city? If they do you can always book 2 separate tours with some solo time in between the tours.

For instance, the Berlin and Prague tour looks interesting. It's 7 days so you'll get time in each city to explore and meet the people on your tour. I would opt for something like this and perhaps one other short tour. You may meet people on the tour to travel with after the tour ends.
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:51 AM

My very first trip to Europe, and solo trip, was a 21 day Contiki tour. I arrived in London a couple of days early, and stayed day later.

After that trip, I was confident enough to take many solo trips, and plan them without need of a travel agent.

Contiki...good times, late nights.
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:54 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I like adrienne's suggestion. Find two 7-10 day Contiki tours that are more limited in scope/rushed in regions that interest you, and fill in the rest w/ traveling around on your own.

I personally wouldn't touch THAT specific tour w/ a barge pole. (Using "Whirl" in the tours title should be your first clue )
Old May 11th, 2011, 09:36 AM

That Euro Whirl tour has a LOT of bus time. Wouldn't do it.

This one's pretty good if you're interested in Central Europe:

http://contiki.com.au/tours/100-berlin-to-budapest

This one is likely a non-stop party tour:

http://contiki.com.au/tours/226-croa...sland-cruising

And this one is the typical you'll find lots of Aussies on a Contiki tour itinerary (with a good opportunity to spend 4+ days in London at the end):

http://contiki.com.au/tours/128-great-britain-ireland
Old May 11th, 2011, 11:40 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
to clarify . . I meant >>more limited in scope and less rushed<<
Old May 30th, 2011, 05:56 AM

hey adie, i don't know whether you are still considering doing this tour. i'm also a 20 year old female from australia and i'm going on the european whirl on the 28th of august.

i do understand what everyone else on this post has said, i've had the same conversation with family members but when it comes down to it, i'm not completely prepared to travel around europe (to non-english speaking countries) on my first big trip to europe on my own. i thought/think contiki will be a great way to meet people like myself, young, travelling alone, keen to have fun and see as many things as they can

i'm also spending a few weeks before and after travelling by myself so i think it will be a good balance