SmarTours Groups

Sep 22nd, 2002, 07:58 AM
Mary

SmarTours Groups

Can anyone advise the size of the groups in the SmarTours Amazing Thailand tour, as well as the typical age mix of the tour members?

Sep 24th, 2002, 06:03 AM
marilyn

Called S tours about a different tour. They said their tour groups are limited to 40. This is similar to what others have said in this forum.

Sep 29th, 2002, 07:34 AM
Mary

Thanks for your help.

Sep 30th, 2002, 04:35 AM
Karen

I'm curious about the age & mix of tour members also (we just signed up for the 17 day Thailand tour that includes Phucket Island). Has anyone been on this tour who can comment on this?

Sep 30th, 2002, 05:23 AM
susan

Karen, I was on that tour last year. It was fantastic! The ages ranged from 20's to 70's. Most of the people were in the 40 to 60 range. I think there were about 50 people in our group, but we were divided between 2 busses with 2 guides so we had plenty of room to spread out. In fact, the last few days we used the second bus mostly for all the purchases everyone made. Everyone was a seasoned traveler and most had been repeat Smartours customers. We made a great many friends and still correspond with several couples. Enjoy!

Sep 30th, 2002, 08:24 AM
Dan

Karen, would you be so kind as to send me (the email is real) the details, in brief, on your 17 day tour to Thailand. I am interested in the number of family members, the total number on the tour, the cost per person for your family. Just want to see how the costs stack up. Thanks in advance, Dan

Sep 30th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Karen

We will be going on the trip in February (5th - 22nd). I found the info on 2 sites: friendlyplanet.com and smartours.com
Both companies call this trip "Amazing Thailand" and offer the standard tour plus additional days to Phucket Island or Angor Wat. All the prices & itineraries are well described on those sites.

Oct 8th, 2002, 05:20 PM
Margot White

We did the 14-day Thailand tour with SmarTours in February this year. We had two buses and lots of room. The guides were great and we enjoyed it very much and I'll send you my notes if you're interested. Please e-mail me direct. Margot

Oct 8th, 2002, 07:51 PM
very smart

I went to their web site just now and saw the package being highlighted as a hot deal. Basically what you get is the international airfare, hotel accommodations and local transfers. Other than, there is not much in it. A lot of free days and optional tours, which is how they make money, I guess.

Two things that bother me the most:

1) they did not mention that you have to fly to Seoul to connect flight for Thailand and the layover time is not mentioned. Everybody knows Korean Air is the cheapest because of their bad safety record (FAA banned them to fly to the USA for a while if my memory is correct).

2) Their US departure tax at $95 is the highest I have ever seen. Some other cheap tour operators normally charge $48 or $50 while most other companies have that included in their package price.

Didn't mean to offend anybody. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Oct 11th, 2002, 11:46 AM
Judy

On the SmarTours Vietnam tour why doesn't Korean Airlines give mileage points on Delta since they pair with Delta?