Sending Payment Abroad-Travelwise?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2018, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have booked an apartment in Germany for next April. They require a deposit of 50% at least 30 days before arrival to their bank account (yes, its legit).
The last time that I tried a foreign bank transfer a few years ago, it took more than 2 weeks and cost $50. Although this is a common method of payment within Europe, many US banks (and especially my smaller bank) are NOT familiar with or adept at making payment go smoothly.
I see that the panda currency conversion site offers a foreign money transfer service at a much lower cost called transferwise.....anyone use or hear of it?
Old Aug 31st, 2018, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Lol, that should read: oanda current site...
Old Aug 31st, 2018, 05:19 PM

I know people that are using Transferwise. No idea about oanda.

I'm likely setting up my own Transferwise account soon . People seem happy with it.
Old Aug 31st, 2018, 05:29 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I've never used oanda/travelwise (my own bank does international transfers and it takes hours, not 2 weeks so I've never had need to) but there have been lots of posts/mentions of them on the forums (especially on the Europe board) and all seem legit
Old Sep 1st, 2018, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Yes, Transferwise was what I meant! Well, I have a some time to investigate anyway....
Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 06:03 AM

Hi mokka4,

I use xoom, which is a PayPal product. I've used it a few times to transfer funds from my US bank to my German bank when I was too lazy to walk to the ATM. The cost is around $5, if I'm remembering it right -- but they do tell you the fee before you agree to the transfer. It takes 2 or 3 business days.

Hope you find a good solution --

s
Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 08:44 AM

The few times I needed to do a wire transfer, the fees were lower or free using an investment account such as Fidelity or TDAmeritrade. Fidelity is MUCH better at it than was TDA.

I do wish more overseas vendors accepted Paypal, even if they charge back the supplemental fee.
Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 02:45 PM

My daughter in Australia has experience with transferwise and considers it quite reliable. I recently sent $ to her via xe.com as I was just a little more comfortable with it after reading the reviews. I priced Western Union and it had a less favourable exchange rate (CAD to AUD) and a $15 fee. I didn’t check out the banks; once I had a teller advise me to go elsewhere as their rates were too high!
Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. I have read really good reviews on both Transferwise and HiFX.
It seems that Western Union charges much more (though all 3 MUCH less than my little bank!)
I also have investments with Fidelity, so I will also explore that avenue. At least I know there are some legitimate options. I was dreading the laborsome process with my bank!
Old Sep 11th, 2018, 05:42 AM

What about credit cards?
Old Sep 12th, 2018, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Small B&B, they don't take credit cards.
I ended up using HiFX. Still waiting to see the transaction post...
Old Nov 22nd, 2018, 05:04 AM

It seems strange that any B&B or travel business related operation, especially international wouldn't take credit cards. We have stayed in different people's homes in an extra bedroom (talk about small operations) and even they take credit card. It is just part of doing business.
Old Nov 22nd, 2018, 06:46 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by nanabee
It seems strange that any B&B or travel business related operation, especially international wouldn't take credit cards. We have stayed in different people's homes in an extra bedroom (talk about small operations) and even they take credit card. It is just part of doing business.
Not everywhere for sure. And in many countries the merchant has to pay pretty hefty fees to the credit card companies so they will either not accept cc's or offer a discount for cash. Sometimes they will take a deposit by cc to facilitate booking, but prefer the balance in cash at check out.
Old Nov 22nd, 2018, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by nanabee
In the Euro zone you can do an online transfer to anybody else in the Eurozone for free. No merchant fees or other issues for either end.

Taking credit cards requires you to sign up with a provider. Then have enough customers who want to use a credit card. Most people I know only have a prepaid card at most.
Old Nov 24th, 2018, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Unfortunately, I am in the US, not the Eurozone...HiFX was reliable and cost about $7!
Old Feb 8th, 2019, 06:02 PM

I used Travelwise to send money to apartments and b&b’s in Germany. Less than $10 compared to $35 to $40 that bank transfers cost me the previous trip. I was a little leery about using it until I read a favorable article about it in Forbes magazine.
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 05:10 AM

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/11/69133...-much-too-fast

I know this is slightly off topic but more countries (especially Sweden and Norway) are going completely cashless. I think this is great especially for travelers. Buses and trains no longer take bills or change. Nationwide rail company SJ has even started allowing customers to store digital tickets on microchips in their hands.
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 07:36 PM

It's great if your card works there. If you're a traveler with a non working card ?

I remember one Sunday in France and the automated gas station only took French cards. Not Italian,UK or Canadian. Yes I tried them all -( Luckily I had enough fuel to last until Monday.