Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

10 years anniversary idea, 10 days, 10k budget, May 2018

Oct 9th, 2018, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

My wife and I will be celebrating our 10 years anniversary in May and we desperately need some ideas. Initially we wanted to go back to Turks and Caicos where we got married but now we want to go somewhere we never been before, somewhere more exotic than places we been to before. We are mid 30s and looking for adventure and once in a lifetime experience. We prefer warm weather over cold. We definitely want to go international and have a budget of 10 days and $10k for flight, accomodations, excursions. We will be flying from O'Hare in Chicago. I am strongly considering New Zealand but not sure if 10 days is enough given the days spent traveling there.

We been to:
Asia - Tokyo, Hong Kong, Bangkok, Chiang Mai
Europe - Paris, Marseille, Nice, Vernazza, Rome, Florence, Venice, Milan, Amsterdam, Dubrovnik
South America: Cusco, Machu Picchu
Caribbeans: Riveria Maya, Cozumel, Turks and Caicos, Bahamas
Africa: Cairo (2020 trip planned with friends)
Oct 10th, 2018, 08:47 AM

How about one of the Greek islands?
Oct 10th, 2018, 09:46 AM

I don't think you'll find "warm weather" in New Zealand in May??
Oct 12th, 2018, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by schmerl View Post
How about one of the Greek islands?
We thought about Mykonos or Santorini, but we just got back from Dubrovnik and want something a little different.

Originally Posted by suze View Post
I don't think you'll find "warm weather" in New Zealand in May??
You are right. I completely forgot their winter is our summer. Looks like New Zealand is out then. My coworker was there a few weeks ago, and his photos were amazing.

My wife is looking into tree top hotels in Costa Rica, somewhere relatively close and something unique.
Oct 13th, 2018, 06:55 AM

Check out Bosque del Cabo in Costa Rica. And the Costa Rica forum.
Oct 14th, 2018, 02:25 PM

Everyone's different and while Cusco, Machu Picchu is an amazing sounding trip it doesn't (to me) really sound like an anniversary celebration. I think you were more on the "right" track with the Caribbean island idea.
Oct 16th, 2018, 12:53 PM

Patagonia. Fantastic and very different from anywhere. 10 days is a perfect fit.
Oct 16th, 2018, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thibaut View Post
Patagonia. Fantastic and very different from anywhere. 10 days is a perfect fit.
I was just looking at that! Looks amazing and very remote.
Oct 19th, 2018, 07:11 PM

What about an African Safari in Tanzania and Kenya? That would be a trip to remember!
Oct 19th, 2018, 09:13 PM

Dubai? Or Israel?
Nov 3rd, 2018, 02:14 PM

second vote for safari. just returned from 9 days in Tanzania-Ngorongoro Crater, Serengeti, and Tarangire NP. trip of a lifetime and your budget was same as ours. i wouldn't try to do both Kenya and Tanzania together with your time/budget. stick with one if you decide to look into it. can provide more details if you desire.

Last edited by melproffit; Nov 3rd, 2018 at 02:15 PM. Reason: misspelling
Nov 3rd, 2018, 02:40 PM

May in Patagonia..I don't think so!

May is actually one of my favorite months in Peru (Machu Picchu) after all it's just a few degrees off of the equator and so there isn't a "winter" and a "summer" in terms of temperature (which has more to do with elevation than month) and "wet" vs "dry" seasons. But if you read the OP, they've already been there, so not sure why it was even mentioned.

If you can handle a long flight, what about Bali? May should be outside of the monsoon season and before the bulk of Australian tourists show up. You can do a side trip to Komodo from Bali. If Singapore has there stopover progam, I'd try to include it .

If not, maybe the Galapagos?

Ten days should work for either one. Bali in particular will be more interesting than just another Caribbean island or European City.

Last edited by mlgb; Nov 3rd, 2018 at 02:44 PM.
Nov 5th, 2018, 08:27 AM

we actually have a trip almost planned for Bali in May. but we are waiting a bit to get better details on the effects of the recent earthquake/tsunami in the area and monitoring the ongoing volcano issue (which is 6 miles from our pre-paid resort) personally i think,with all the other options available, i would wait on Bali.
Nov 5th, 2018, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your ideas! After much debate, wife won (as always) and we will be heading to Costa Rica for adventure and relaxation at the same time. We will be renting an Airbnb by Uvita so we can do adventure sports and also just chill at the beaches. She wanted to shorten our trip to just 6 days since we booked another trip to San Francisco the following weekend to visit families.
Feb 16th, 2019, 11:31 AM

Try to recreate your first married meal with your spouse. Work together to choose recipes, go shopping for the ingredients, and cook as a team. My wedding dinner included an elegant tomato salad and chicken piccata – not something I would normally take the time to make at home! Making it with my husband would certainly be a fun challenge. For those of you who are really ambitious, try recreating your wedding cake. If you are not married and celebrating a dating anniversary, try to cook what you ate on your first date. Cooking, in general, is an extremely fun and cheap dating idea that you should always consider. If you’re still not sure what to do, find a new special recipe or use an online service like E-mealz to plan out your meal. End the evening snuggling on the couch, watching the first movie you saw together.