Search

Plastic wrap of luggage

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2010, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plastic wrap of luggage

I have not used the service of having my luggage wrapped in plastic but I am seeing it more and more frequently.

My question is, "Does TSA inspect the luggage prior to wrapping or do they randomly pick pieces of luggage, remove the plastic to inspect and rewrap."

When I travel with expensive camera gear in separate cases. I wrap duct tape around the cases and over the locks to help secure them. A few times I have arrived at my destination to find the duct tape torn off from the latches. It may have been from random handling or itentional. I do not know but have never in fifteen years had anything stolen.

The question was prompted by a client that asked if this was possibly a good way of deterring theft by baggage handlers.
Old Dec 3rd, 2010, 05:54 PM

I always use electrical plastic ties to "lock" my luggage and so far been very lucky. But then there is nothing in my suticases of any value.

But this time coming home from Capetown thru Jburg I did have my luggage wrapped. I had several plane changes to make and my guide recommended I do this. I had no trouble going in from JBurg to Lake Vic.....

so who knows!!!???!!!!
Old Dec 7th, 2010, 07:43 AM

If you have any sense of environmental issues then you will NOT wrap your luggage. Wrapping your luggage is very popular in 3rd world countries and in Europe but the waste of plastic wrap and where it goes after you open your bag is so sad.
Either use the plastic tags that have to be cut on your bags or a TSA approved lock instead.
Old Dec 7th, 2010, 05:49 PM

I bought my luggage home, tore off the plastic and recycled all of it. Hopefully from there it was handled correctly.
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 01:31 AM

I am agree with you leanna. we should have electrical plastic ties for lock of luggage.
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 07:03 PM

Well I learned about the plastic ties after not using them one time and having to retrieve "me smalls" from the conveyor belt!!!

Now I always use them!!!!
Old Dec 11th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

I have not used the plastic wrap and really did not want to. I love the idea of the plastic ties. If TSA or someone breaks one you have extras. Thanks for the idea.
I have been travelling to Africa yearly for fifteen years and still able to pick up new travel tips.
Thanks all.
Old Dec 11th, 2010, 12:27 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I buy the plastic ties in a hardware store's electric dept.
They came in different sizes and I can keep a bunch of them tucked away in my luggage for the trip home.
Old Dec 11th, 2010, 05:58 PM

I also use them to hold my luggage tags onto my bag. This seems to keep my luggage tags from disappearing all the time.

Hey Tim......I've been traveling for years too and I swear each time I hit the airport these days the rules have changed and I feel like I have never been anywhere!!!

But heres a great tip I just got from Budget Travel...if you need an emergency lint roller....take the luggage destination airport tag off your luggage and use the sticky side...works great!
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

The rules and procedures are definetly a moving target.
Just after US airports starting requiring the removal of shoes I headed for Africa for the season. I was going through security Johannesburg to board my flight to Zambia and took my shoes off. The lady working the screener looked at me like I had gone nuts.
Love the idea of the emergency lint roller. You are probably more fashion conscious than I am. I am usually travelling in khaki shorts and similar shirt. I think I will put that tip on my blog though. Great idea.
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 06:08 PM

The wardrobe matches the destination.

I've had similiar experiences w/ the shoes....and they just look at you....like...What are you doing and what is next? Then I say...oh Im from the US.....and they nod, look bored and shrug!!! Eyes also roll!!!!

I just have reached a mature age and w/ all my travel background...I should look like a woman who knows what she is doing...but each airport, each agent, each moment is different each time I go......and I end up looking like a dottery ole Miss Marple!

Oh well..Im sure I provide humorous fodder for the coffee break!!!!