Search

Locking luggage

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locking luggage

What's the rule on locking luggage. I know in the recent past, it was a no no. Is it ok to do it now? What if they need to get into the luggage? While I don't pack anything of value in my check-through luggage, I also don't especially like the thought of anyone being able to paw through my undies...smile. Advice?
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 02:26 PM

I always put on a TSA-approved lock (with a diamond). Once my suitcase was searched, found a note inside, the lock looked intact. They have master keys.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 02:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
plastic cable ties work for me
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 02:45 PM

I think undies will be pawed through by TSA regardless of what the traveler likes. If they think the luggage needs to be inspected they will do so. The TSA lock is good. I use the plastic wire ties to close my luggage. Lots of times TSA has snipped off the wire ties and pawed through the undies. They then attache their own wire tie to close the luggage. Sometimes they put a note inside, sometimes not. It works fine for me.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 03:07 PM

If you put your unmentionables in clear plastic ziplocks they won't open the bags.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 03:23 PM

Gives a whole new meaning to the words "panty raid"!!!
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 04:13 PM

If the TSA wants in, an inspector gets in.

A stout lock is no defense against a sharp knive anyhow, or the force necessary to pop the zipper.

A non TSA approved lock is probably going to be forced open if you don't unlock it first. The last time I checked luggage, I was asked if it was locked. I said no, and there was no more discussion.

Old Nov 16th, 2005, 06:36 PM

I don't bother with locking luggage. Locks with keys - I'm more concerned I won't be able to get into it. With combination locks, your combination is easily figured out by the shiny numbers.

I'm more concerned about the zippers separating during handling, so secure them with twist-ties.

I really don't see the value of locking bags. ANYONE can easily get into them or just relieve you permanently of the entire bag.

It's possible, I think, that locks tell thieves which bags are worth stealing or getting into.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 06:52 PM

TSA just broke the lock on our luggage and it was TSA-APPROVED. Go figure!!

And, I should add, the suitcase wasn't even LOCKED! They seem to have broke it to make a statement or just a mistake.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 07:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I always use cable ties if I have to check my rollaboard (I normally only use a carry on)

If TSA opens your bag they will put their own cable tie on it. And if they don't search you bag you can just cut the cable tie w/ nail clippers.

Even expensive TSA locks have been broken and cable ties only cost pennies.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 03:22 AM

After buying nice TSA locks (about $10 apiece), I think I'm going back to cable ties. Just got back from a trip to find my TSA lock gone and a note from TSA saying they had been through my bag (they got what they deserved -- stinky, damp clothes that had been living on a sailboat for a week). But the lock was gone altogether -- they either broke it, or opened it and just tossed it away. So much for trying to play by the new "rules"...
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 05:59 AM

Are you allowed to attached those wide straps around luggage these days? We used those in the past to secure the luggage (although they were easily opened) and also to help identify it.

Old Nov 17th, 2005, 06:19 AM

I've flown maybe 20 times since 9/11 and always locked my checked luggage. No attendant has ever asked me if the luggage was locked or told me to unlock it. Nor, to my knowledge, has my luggage been opened. (Of course, now that I'm saying that, you know it's going to be opened the next time I fly.)

As for why you would lock the luggage, the answer seems obvious to me: For the same reason you'd lock your car or your house -- to deter thieves.

And the idea that a locked bag attracts thieves seems off-base to me. Thieves look for easy entry. Period. They'd much rather slip open an unlocked bag than wrestle with a lock (not that I have experience).
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 07:17 AM

I don't bother locking luggage either. We're asked everytime we check baggage at our local airport if the bags are locked. My husband did have a very nice pocket knife stolen from checked luggage at MIA. I doubt if a lock would have made a difference.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 08:10 AM

I use platic ties. But I kept a lock on the suitcase, which was cut because the TSA person did not realize that it was not locking the suitcase. I lock the suitcase to protect the contents from the opportunistic thief, realizing that if someone wanted to seriously get into the luggage, nothing would stop him.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Pis_Pistofferson

We covered this here, two or three screen names ago. Here's what we learned:
1) Any lock can be broken.
2) Put a fingernail clipper in the outside pocket so you can cut through the plastic, if that is what you use.
3) A box knife (razor) can cut through soft-shelled luggage to bypass any lock.
4) TSA locks, etc. can be broken as the lugggage makes it's journey. Doesn't mean that the baggage handlers or inspectors opened/broke the lock.
5) Pack duplicates of some items in separate bags if you pack 2 or more. This way, when one does not arrive, you're still trip-functional.

Pis

Old Nov 17th, 2005, 08:23 AM

I used to work as a bellman in a hotel here on the Strip, and often we would get calls saying they had a plastic tie on their luggage and cannot get into their own bag. The airport does this after searching the bag, they leave a note inside (as someone already mentioned) and tie it up with a plastic zip tie. If they want to search your bag..they will. As far as being concerned with other people stealing from your bag, I can tell you from a bellmans point of view, they are too busy to be concerned with what ya got in your bag. Not only that but, I guarantee your bag is not the nicest one they have seen, they see thousands, and they got their job over hundreds of others, so the risk of stealing something is not worth losing their well sought after job. (At least here in Vegas). The skycaps at the airports have security clearance jobs, so their background checks are clear, and the same for them, they make good money (tips) and so the risk of losing their job is not worth it. I'm not saying there cannot be a bad apple amongst the employees, but for the most part they are typically trustworthy individuals. The moral of my story....why bother locking your bag, it will eventually get broken by TSA....also TIP the skycaps and bellman!!
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 10:09 AM

There is another reason to lock the suitcase or at least to put a key ring on - so the zippers won't slide off and open the suitcase.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 10:36 AM

I use plastic zip ties... secures your luggage, prevents accidental unzipping and alerts you if your luggage has been searched (only happened me once).

It's a good compromise (remember to put a small pocket knife in a non-secured pocket so that you can open the ties upon arrival).
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 10:56 AM

All this leads to another question: Do different airports have different procedures about this?

As I said earlier, I have flown aboout 20 times since 9/11 and the tighter rules, and not once has anyone asked me if my bags were locked (they almost always were).

From memory, the aiports I have been through are: Phila., Orlando, Vegas, Chicago (O'Hare), Seattle. May be others that I can't recall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -