Search

Fall Honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fall Honeymoon

Hi!

I'm looking for recommendations on honeymoon locations on the east coast of the US. We love nature, shore or lake, cabin, history and exploring. Any suggestions?
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 12:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Post your question on the United States forum, for replies.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 05:28 AM

I'm a North Carolina girl and love my state -- a truly unique one that has it all -- mountains, piedmont, farmland, and sea.

There are several great autumn destinations here that offer all the things you list as "likes" in your question. My personal favorite is the western part of the state and the Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains (www.nps.gov/grsm).

Asheville (www.exploreasheville.com)is a visitor's dream... beautiful scenery; charming downtown with great galleries; art and shopping; excellent restaurants; right off the Blue Ridge Parkway (www.blueridgeparkway.org) and easy access to camping, hiking, etc. -- AND the Biltmore Estate, the US's largest single private home open for tours, including a winery, acres of land (a perfect place for a picnic), conservatory and beautiful gardens. It was built by Cornelius Vanderbuilt in the 1800's and is truly a castle -- it's one of those must-visit places.

Just an hour west of Asheville in Swain County is Bryson City, another charming town right on the literal edge of the Smokies -- with more trails to hike, streams to tube down, and more great vistas and scenery. There's the Smoky Mountain Railway -- a refurbished steam engine and train that you can ride, and Fontana Lake as well as the Nantahala River which offers all levels of whitewater rafting -- great, great fun.

My perfect autumn honeymoon would be several days in Asheville and then several more in Bryson City. Keep in mind that this part of the country is brilliant w/ fall colors. It is high season, so if you want to book accomodations, do it sooner than later -- or everyone will be all booked up. Favorite B&Bs... The Wright Inn (www.wrightinn.com) and A Hill House Inn (www.hillhousebb.com) in Asheville and Folkestone Inn (www.folkestoneinn.com) in Bryson City -- all reasonably priced, gracious, lovely accomodations w/ scrumptious breakfasts each day.

I don't where you're coming from, but Asheville is just a couple of hours from Charlotte, where there's an international airport. It's a lovely drive. Or you can fly from Charlotte to Asheville -- it's a puddle-jumper.

If the sea is your favorite, there are beautiful beaches all along the NC shore -- and of course, the Outer Banks, the most pristine of them all. Southport (www.southport-nc.com or www.southport-oakisland.com) is a charming town on the the intercoastal waterway with a ferry to the barrier island where Kure Beach is located. All this is about an hour from Wilmington. Both Southport and Wilmington are charming sea towns with an abundance of B&Bs and small welcoming inns. Have stayed at Rosehill Inn in Wilmington -- another lovely, friendly place. A good site is www.bedandbreakfast.com -- then search Wilmington for a good selection.

Well, I've written a dissertation, but I love to share information about my home state. Best to you... and wherever you go, laugh, love and enjoy one another.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thank you so much for your advice! I'm so grateful! I will start researching right away!
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 06:09 AM

You're most welcome. Also, I forgot... if you do end up traveling to Asheville, make sure and eat at least once at Salsa Mexican Carribean Restaurant on Patton Ave. They don't have a website, but you can read reviews on www.tripadvisor.com. This is mine and my husband's favorite restaurant in NC. It's not fancy and there can be a wait at peak times, but it's worth it. The food is the most inventive I've ever had. And be sure and have one of the habanero margaritas.

Our other favorite restaurant in Asheville is The Market Place (www.marketplace-restaurant.com) -- dressier and a little pricier, but a great place to celebrate. In fact, that's where we became engaged. So it hold's a special place in our hearts.

I'll check back on this forum and see if you have any questions that I might be able to help with. Best...
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 03:49 PM

Hi Azuia -

First of all, congrats on your upcoming wedding! My parents loved Cape May, NJ. There are lots of lovely Victorian inns that could be perfect for your honeymoon. Cape Cod is a great place for a honeymoon too.