Search

converters and adapters

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2009, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
converters and adapters

Can anyone suggest a good set of adaptors to buy? I live in the US, and will be travelling to Italy and the middle east.
Thanks!
Old Nov 21st, 2009, 08:52 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Not much difference - IMO a plug adapter is a plug adapter is a . . . .

Go to any local shop (from Target/Walmart to upscale) that has travel gear. Luggage shops may have the best selection. But like I said, they are all about the same.

There are some universal ones - I've had two. The cheaper ones tend to be clunky and the expensive ones are just not that necessary.
Old Nov 21st, 2009, 08:58 AM

Oh - meant to add, if you are asking about a voltage converter and not plug adapters - are you sure you even need one?

Most modern electronics are dual voltage, and single voltage appliances like hairdryers are generally inefficient when converted. They sometimes also have a habit of blowing fuses/melting/smoking - which is not a good thing. Especially when you've blown the fuses in a B&B 2 mornings in a row

A dual voltage one w/ a plug adapter is a better idea.
Old Nov 21st, 2009, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Yes i meant to ask about a converter as well! How do i know if i need one?
Old Nov 21st, 2009, 05:43 PM

look on the appliance - it will clearly state whether it is dual voltage or not. Something like "125/250V 60/50Hz"

If it is dual voltage - you just need plug adapters.

If it isn't dual voltage, then leave it home unless it is an absolute necessity.

What sorts of things do you plan on taking?
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

Dell notebook laptop, shaver, video cam, reg. Cam, phone charger - nothing out of the ordinary. With all the research I've done so far, everyone says not to use a converter, so I think ill stick with that.
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 08:45 AM

Most computer and battery/phone chargers are dual voltage so all you need is a plug adapter.

re the shaver - I'd either take a cordless one (fully charged, it should work for the duration of a 2 week trip). OR better yet - just take safety razors. The less extra/unnecessary electric 'stuff' the better IMO
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 05:02 AM

It's very simple. You should never need a power converter because you should really never travel with an appliance that requires one.

Hotels (even cheap ones) have hair dryers. If you need a curling iron, buy one in Italy. It's cheaper than a converter and less heavy, and then you can use it in the Middle East as well since voltages will be similar (though you may still need a plug adapter depending on where you go).
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 04:50 PM

Before you take electronics and just assume that they'll work, PLEASE check them. On the power cord (the big block on my laptop) if it says something like "Input 100-240V 50-60 Hz" it's dual voltage and you don't need a converter. If it doesn't say that, or something similar, don't take the item or you do need a converter. If you plug something that is only set up for US currents and not dual voltage into an outlet in Italy, it could start a fire or simply blow the fuses and possibly fry your item.

Everything I've used in the last few years that I've checked has been dual voltage so it hasn't been a problem. Still... please check!